Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Docrafts Cards for Cancer Research

Post Thanks / Like

Noticed a lot of charity shops are selling professional cards (like Hallmark etc) and are refusing hand crafted cards! Lady in Children's Society shop is a card maker and ended up giving hers to the local church to sell! So unless you do a table-top sale, you're pretty well stuffed.
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

craftycat Guest

I've lost two outlets with my charity cards but, at least at the moment, Cancer Research are continuing their Docraft link. Cards are bagged into "official" packaging and sold at £1 each.

My other outlet is for the Care Home my mother spent her final years in. Connected to the Methodist Church and they are always glad of extra funding support.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just found a craft kit from C&C with old photographs and mounts. It's a lovely kit so hopefully will appeal.

Charities are getting picky - sometimes too picky with what they will and won't take. Shame really as a lot of thought goes into making charity cards - even sticking and topping.

craftycat Guest

Not so much a case of the charities being picky, more that some stuff is difficult to sell. Not many people will pay £1 for a card, regardless of how good it is when they can go to a cheap as chips shop and get much cheaper stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

My local shop said last year that some of the quality of the handmade cards they had were really poor, that people made them in huge bulks and that they would have been able to sell more if they had been more time spent on them.

Quite harsh I thought, but then I suppose I didn't see what was being sent to them.

craftycat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tru-ella View Post
    My local shop said last year that some of the quality of the handmade cards they had were really poor, that people made them in huge bulks and that they would have been able to sell more if they had been more time spent on them.

Quite harsh I thought, but then I suppose I didn't see what was being sent to them.
    Believe me some of the cards handed over look like they might have been made by under 5 year olds in play group. Very difficult for the shop managers to have to cope with. There is also a problem with style of cards. Pretty pretty goes down a treat so I put up with that. Not a very big market in charity shops for the grunge style that I enjoy making.