Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 'Our' Nigel's NEW CD! [Sorry Christmas Collection]

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't Nigel also promoting a book he's written?? I don't have a problem with that to be honest but I don't consider Nigel to be a "celebrity" and in fact I hate that word and all its connotations. People presenting craft tv are not celebrities. Not even "craft celebrities" in my book. Some are more well known than others - that's all. If Nigel wants another job then he should just go and do what we all do - apply :) I'd miss him though because he's a laugh really, even although I do choke at some of the stuff he comes out with he he he.

CG

craftycat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by essdeecee View Post
    When I was training to teach (last century), a wise tutor sat in on a lesson with 7-year olds. He told me at the review, there was nothing wrong with my work but my voice was not a good delivery. We talked about pitch, pace, levels, register, everything really. I practised. I never forgot and my teaching was all the better for it. TV presentation is surely a form of teaching so the producers/directors would be wise to offer low-level voice coaching.

Quieter presenters/demonstrators, such as Mel Heaton, bring a calmer but still enthusiastic delivery!
    Well Maggie Thatcher had lessons in how best to pitch, pace etc and was advised to lower the level. Whatever you think of her politics, you could follow what she was saying without a struggle.

OMG wonder if Maggie would have made a good craft ambassador!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craftycat View Post
    Well Maggie Thatcher had lessons in how best to pitch, pace etc and was advised to lower the level. Whatever you think of her politics, you could follow what she was saying without a struggle.

OMG wonder if Maggie would have made a good craft ambassador!!!!!
    My boys would have made short work of her pic too!

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craftycat View Post
    None of my comments were aimed at you Alan. Must admit I can't take OTT presenting at all!!

This morning's programme with Ali demonstrating and Andy presenting was wonderfully calm. He did have an easier product to sell though. When some of the presenters go into hyper mode (and I still feel they have no option as they are there to sell) it reminds me of Joyce Grenfell as a primary school teacher:

"Today we are going to have SUCH a good time and learn lots of LOVELY things.....Yes we are Neville!!"
    Sidney....... don't do that. ;)

Loved that lady to bits.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I found watching Nigel with Phill excrutiating. There I was, sat with a cuppa and hoping to see some of Phil's brilliant creations and it turned in to the Nigel Show. If the words 'I' and 'Me' were removed from the English language, Nigel would have nothing to talk about.

In terms of showing the ability and diversity of the Hunkydory package, it failed spectacularly. There was little reference to the papers, we hardly saw them and half the time Phill was trying to demonstrate, the camera was fixed on Nigel wittering on about Phill in his speedos etc. I was not a happy bunny. I'm all for a bit of banter, but when the banter becomes the show and the demonstrations and products are a by-line, then there is something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knit1 View Post
    I found watching Nigel with Phill excrutiating. There I was, sat with a cuppa and hoping to see some of Phil's brilliant creations and it turned in to the Nigel Show. If the words 'I' and 'Me' were removed from the English language, Nigel would have nothing to talk about.

In terms of showing the ability and diversity of the Hunkydory package, it failed spectacularly. There was little reference to the papers, we hardly saw them and half the time Phill was trying to demonstrate, the camera was fixed on Nigel wittering on about Phill in his speedos etc. I was not a happy bunny. I'm all for a bit of banter, but when the banter becomes the show and the demonstrations and products are a by-line, then there is something wrong.
    I saw that last night, I felt that Nigel was embarrasing Phil, well if not it made me cringe. It was fun for about 5 minutes, it felt like Phil kept trying to reign him in and then it was innuendo city. I quite like Nigel so I was a bit disappointed that he behaved this way to be honest.

ps I just got Nigel's first CD on Ebay for virtually nothing, so I don't object to him having fun with CD's, but I won't pay silly prices for them, they should in my view be given as free gifts to club members.

Post Thanks / Like

George! ... George! Don't do that!

Oh dear hope "fame" hasn't gone to Nigel's head.
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

craftycat Guest

Glad there are some more Joyce Grenfell fans out there. Not sure there was a "neville" but it sounded right!

I watched a bit of the Kanban and a bit of the Hunkydory seem to have a total memory block on what was going on or which product was being sold. Recall a lovely lady demonstrating (with Nigel I think) that bit wasn't bad

Post Thanks / Like

That'll be Katherine, craftycat. I love the Kanban kit particularly the acetate overlays - just beautiful!

craftycat Guest

Not the sort of stuff that I use but it did look good. Memory returning now, Phil was trying to explain something about a special acetate sheet but got drowned out by Nigel (?). That is when I lost interest, went and cleaned the work surfaces in the kitchen instead.