Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utter Novice help please

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soopy View Post
    That's a lovely story SheilaJ, fancy, Wallis Simpson, did your mum meet her? Such a shame your mum couldn't enjoy her stitching in her twilight years, but she seems to have started quite a legacy :)
    Wow, 45 years. I started about 23-24 years ago after going to a Simply Cross Stitch party at a neighbours house! I hadn't tried any crafts before that.
    The place she worked was like "the House of Eliot" only just before ww2. The workers didn't meet the clients, that was the job of the vendeuses (and the owner was French) They used to peep over the stairs to see her arrive and leave ands peep out of the windows to see the then Prince of Wales waiting outside in the car. She says that the fiction that "nobody knew" was just that in London, it was common gossip, they were seen out together and shopping but the papers kept it quiet so possibly not known outside of London.

Post Thanks / Like

It all sounded very posh, I can just see the girls peeping over bannisters and out of windows :)
    I don't think the press would keep something like that quiet nowadays...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soopy View Post
    I don't think the press would keep something like that quiet nowadays...
    ...someone would have flogged it to the highest bidder as soon as there was a sniff of making a fast buck....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
    ...someone would have flogged it to the highest bidder as soon as there was a sniff of making a fast buck....
    :D You're right there Wellie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
    I've only done the little cat pic for a swap card last year & now I'm doing another one from that same kit for my mum's Mother's Day card. Am I right in thinking that the neater the back is, the more economic I'm being with the threads? It's one of those patterns where you get all the threads etc, so the theory is that there should be enough to complete the pic (and there was last time) - but I'm paranoid that I'll run out of something & the thing'll be ruined.

In general the back looks mostly like horizontal & vertical lines - is that about right?

I should respectfully request that you don't bombard me with lots of techincal terms & stitching names - I can cope with 'a cross stitch' & that's me done :o :D
    Hi Welly,

if the kit has details of DMC thread colours, let me have details of any that you run out of and I can send you some, I've got most colours (collected over the years at 4 for a dollar in Florida!)

Linda:)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    This is the one I'm doing at the moment. I've done about a quarter of it.

Love the elephants, have a thing for them, have a lovely collection bought back from various countries. Enjoyed the tv program, especially Breeze.

Pam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Prudence View Post
    Love the elephants, have a thing for them, have a lovely collection bought back from various countries. Enjoyed the tv program, especially Breeze.
    I love elephants too, I was so glad the Breeze was OK in the end. I really thought it was going to have a sad ending. The elephants are amazing aren't they - the way they care for the young. Love it when they guide the youngsters with their trunks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERICS MUM View Post
    Hi Welly,

if the kit has details of DMC thread colours, let me have details of any that you run out of and I can send you some, I've got most colours (collected over the years at 4 for a dollar in Florida!)

Linda:)
    Thanks Linda :) I shall bare it in mind but have to say, having checked the bits in the kit, there don't seem to be any codes anywhere...