Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silhouette cameo (again)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm yelling.
    please help. I'm having trouble with the blade and now I've broken the tip. I've been searching online and joined ukscrappers to get some hints, but I'm scared I've made a really big mistake buying it. It seems a lot of people can't sort out the 'blade issue'

Ive ordered another blade but if they keep breaking and keep getting bunged up with paper, it's going to be expensive. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the card just rips and doesn't cut at all. Thes not point having it if I can't do intricate designs, I may as well keep. The cricut

Im so disheartened :(
    I have learnt to keep an open mind, but not to be so open minded my brains fall out

Post Thanks / Like

Why not contact Hayley and see what she says? She was very helpful when I had my Robo and was having trouble with it. If you use Facebook you could send a private message or maybe contact her through her blog.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are very unlucky to have broken the blade tip. I bought my Cameo on POW about six weeks (maybe longer) ago, and have used it most days since (and quite heavily too). I have seen on different forums that there are issues with the blade, but not just lately...I know Sihouette were working on it.
    I don't think they keep breaking, so enjoy, and don't worry about it....I love mine, and haven't cut a decoupage out without it since!
    pete

Post Thanks / Like

Oh this is such a shame, I think you have just been unlucky, did you cut anything before the blade broke or did it break straight away? I think you should contact Graphtec as this shouln't happen. Please don't give up. Its a fab machine I'm sure you will love it once the blade has been replaced. Chin up x

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. I did ring graphtec uk and they just said I needed to be more careful with the blade. But if it's going to break every time you are slightly off with the settings then it's really not worth it.

I wasn't tough on it at all and the card I used was pretty standard although heavier than 80lbs which is actually quite thin (I googled).
    Im just hoping I got a dodgy blade and that the new ones work fine, but after what the graphtec chap said, I'm very wary of using it.
    I have learnt to keep an open mind, but not to be so open minded my brains fall out

Post Thanks / Like

Comfrey, did you calibrate the machine before you used it? Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I have a recollection they have to be calibrated just the once (unless you are going to be carrying it around so would need more). I might be completely wrong and thinking of another machine. Don't give up, I am sure it's just bad luck the blade had broken. They seem quite strong machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Jenty isn't the calibration just for print and cut to make sure the cameo is aligned to the printer correctly? I may be wrong of course :(

Inky Guest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Comfrey View Post
    I'm yelling.
    please help. I'm having trouble with the blade and now I've broken the tip. I've been searching online and joined ukscrappers to get some hints, but I'm scared I've made a really big mistake buying it. It seems a lot of people can't sort out the 'blade issue'

Ive ordered another blade but if they keep breaking and keep getting bunged up with paper, it's going to be expensive. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the card just rips and doesn't cut at all. Thes not point having it if I can't do intricate designs, I may as well keep. The cricut

Im so disheartened :(
    Sorry to read you are having problems already Comfrey.

I don't think a blade tip is broken when cutting unless it is not sitting in the holder properly. I push the unit up by holding the screw at the front and insert the blade then turn the screw to the right to tighten. This ensures the blade tip does not drop down to low.

I have not broken the tip of my blades but they have worn down quicker than my Robo blades. I bought my Cameo last November when C&C had them first. There is a problem with some blades and I have heard that Silhouette US, Graphtech GB and Graphtec Japan are redesigning the blade. I have sent two blades back to Graphtec GB and both were replaced. I am at present using a Robo blade as they work in the Cameo. This does mean that I have to do a double cut on thicker card but I can also use cheaper spindle blades. Tina sells them on her web site for £7.99 each. I bought a can of air from Poundland and when I use my Cameo blade give it a spray after use.

Unfortunately Silhouette & Craft Robos do not like fibrous card and knowing what will cut cleanly and what won't comes with practice. I have not had a problem with C&C card including mirri and Supersmooth card.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfrey View Post
    Jenty isn't the calibration just for print and cut to make sure the cameo is aligned to the printer correctly? I may be wrong of course :(
    Your right Comfrey, a Cameo, Silhouette SD and Craft Robo only need calibrating if the print & cut is out. It is not to align to the printer but alignment to the registration marks printed with the images so that the machine knows precisely where to cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Dax. I think I might try a craft robo blade too, just in case. I would buy one from Tina, but I don't know who she is :mysmilie_516:

Im expecting the new blade today so I'll let you know how I get on. Wish me luck :cheeky: