Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Support our Soldiers Charity

craftycat Guest

The "shoebox" system is a lovely way to gather together small items for charity support. Don't know if it is still in existance but an local church I was involved with made up Christmas boxes for children in countries where there was need. You chose to give to a boy or girl, plus the age group, labelled the box - then had great fun filling it.

Post Thanks / Like

Our local charity shop does the childrens boxes at Christmas my sister & I do one every year you get a lot of enjoyment out offilling the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Seemed to die out - think there was problems with what people were putting in the shoeboxes for children. This forces charity also has a shoebox appeal! Maybe we could adopt it as a charity for a year or less, then pick another charity and support that.
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Suban, what a lovely idea.

Our forces need all the help they can get, the Government don't seem to be bothered.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone enlighten on what happens to the stamps that are collected please? I open the post at work so can get the stamps in a wallet for sending.

I know we used to save stamps for the Guide Dogs years ago. No-one ever told me what they did with them and I never thought to ask...

Post Thanks / Like

They are properly removed from the surrounding paper, then can be sold to stamp collectors, or businesses that sell stamp collections.
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Operation Christmas Child is still going strong. We send hundreds of boxes just from this area every year, and we always make 5 as a family - one each. It's a very popular cause with primary schools too, as children love bringing in boxes from home.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear they are still on the go - think it dropped out of publicity when supermarkets didn't continue with the appeal.

Post Thanks / Like

My son is still in Afghanistan - I will have to ask him if they have cards on offer in the mess - to get the perspective from the other side. I know he has always asked the children to get cards for their Mum if he's not already left one for her hidden away if its a celebration whilst he's on tour. From what he has said I don't think they have much time or inclination to think what is happening for family birthdays whilst away in such awful places. I would have thought the less they have to worry and think about us the better for them to get through their time there.

Would have hoped cards could be sold over here to raise money for those soldiers injured and maimed and in need of financial support when lacking from the government. Just my twopenny worth.

craftycat Guest

I quite see your point that soldiers on active service have other things to worry about. Just so happens I was talking to someone fairly recently who has a brother serving in Afghanistan and she has received cards from him through this system. She was thrilled to know I had sent a whole batch of cards.

On the whole thing with supporting soldiers injured in action, I think the attitude of the government stinks. Don't have to tell you that there seems to be very little support that is known about where the general public can help.