Thread: Final batch of cards for the Drop In Sessions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Final batch of cards for the Drop In Sessions

I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who sent me stash to help get the Macmillan Drop In Sessions up and running.

As I am being made redundant at the end of the month I have set to this weekend with my darling daughter Naomi and we have got stuck in. The result is that we have made 70 cards, all have been bagged, priced and a very large box is waiting to get put in my bike basket for me to take into work.

I want to make sure that when I leave there is at least £100 worth of cards left on the charity table to keep the sessions in tea, coffee and biccies for a few months to come.

So far the cards I have been sent and those made up by myself have kept the sessions going and one of the staff who will still be there has agreed to take on the responsibility of topping up the table and collecting the money left for the cards, so I am working like a trojan to make up as many as I can in the next couple of weeks before I leave.

Dont think this will be the end of my charity card making though. At my recent interview for a job in a nursing home - which I have been offered subject to references etc - the manager's eyes lit up when she saw listed among my hobbies and interests was cardmaking, scrapbooking and cross stitching. She asked if I thought it would be a good activity for some of the residents and I said yes as long as they arent too bothered by joint problems so I have a feeling I may well be asked to do an odd day shift to get the residents making cards. She did say that they used to sell hand made cards for the residents fund to allow residents who didnt have much cash to go on excursions etc so I have a feeling my arm may get twisted to start that up again. But thats ok by me, anything for a good cause.

So once again, thanks for the goodies you sent.

Jacqui xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Well done, Jaqui, that is an amazing effort! Sorry to hear you are being made redundant, does that mean MacMillan are having to cut back? But good news about the nursing home. I run a little craft session at a nursing home once a week and it is so much fun. Sometimes we even get the visitors joining in! Last week a Son-in-Law coloured in a giraffe digital stamp and we couldn't get him to stop once we had all finished and were packing up! I'm sure you will be very welcome there and you will get a lot of satisfaction from the job. xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you've got your work cut out (no pun intended!) I'm sure that the residents will really enjoy it. Hope you get the redundancy sorted out soon!
    Mx

Post Thanks / Like

The Macmillan will carry on, I dont work for them but for our local NHS trust and I'm being replaced with two part time, cheaper healthcares as the trust has to save a heck of a lot of money so it was take voluntary redundancy now with the enhanced package (great if you are management, not so great at bottom of pile lol) or wait a couple of months and be made redundant and not get as much.

I started in nursing homes 15 years ago and while the hospital has been great I have missed the continuity and getting to know my patients and this should give me more time for me as I will be working a couple of hours a day more to do the hours over 4 days, not 5 so more me time hopefully. Also the nursing home are keen to develop the senior healthcare role to make the home more attractive to prospecive clients so once I get started manager is arranging for me to have some extra training so its a new challenge Im looking forward to.

Post Thanks / Like

The residents will also be able to make their own cards to send to relatives - a valuable "independence". You better check Blarfs stash sale!!!!
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Does that mean you don't want any more stash, Jacquie? Been collecting a boxful for you, so please let me know if it is no longer required! Well done with all your endeavours.

Love, Jane xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jaqui, hope it turns out well. As per Jane's comment, if you need more stash can you put out a plea on here. We can ALWAYS find stash can't we peeps???

Congratulations xx

Post Thanks / Like

I may need to get rid of stash - actually may make a load of cards for church as they're always raising funds for all sorts of charities!
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. As for the stash I am sure that I can be persuaded to give up a little of my free time to run a card making session or three at the nursing home for any of the residents who want to make cards. As suban so rightly pointed out this could give the residents a little bit of independance if they make their own cards to send to relatives, friends or even each other or to sell to visitors to raise extra cash for the residents fund. Will just stock up on the large foam pads next time I am in the pound shop in readiness.

Post Thanks / Like

It also gives them something to chat about - give's some of them a new lease of life - good luck with your sessions when you start!