Thread: best type of ink pad to use over mica?

craftycat Guest

Default best type of ink pad to use over mica?

If you have actually managed to get some card stock with mica (powder or spray) then sealed, what is the best ink to use on top? Talking about sillhouette type stamps here. I have tried embossing ink pads in the past but without much success.

Post Thanks / Like

Thirteens views and no replies? OK, I'm hoping I understood the question but not sure, therefore I'm guessing that what you want to do is create a shimmery mica background onto dark card and then use a solid silhouette stamp to remove the mica and reveal an image on the actual cardstock? If so then I think the problem may be that you have fixed the mica first. You should be able to make your background then ink the stamp with versamark or some other such embossing ink and then "stamp" to lift off the mica in the area of the stamp. After you have your silhouette - then it's time to fix the mica.

craftycat Guest

Hi there Phree. Nice to "see" you.

I am actually aiming at stamping (probably in black) so that the stamped image sits on the mica background. So far, and from what you have said as well, I need to look at how I fix the mica - using hairspray, or Spay and Shine obviously seals the surface. Waffle waffle as ever!!

Might be that I should emboss stamp first, then mica the background. Having great fun at the moment making a set of samples to see what can be done with mica.

Thanks for the reply, really much appreciated!

craftycat Guest

Yippee fandabedosy (is that how you spell it - looks wrong)

Anyway, got it sussed - I think. Versamark and black embossing works well [U]if[U] the heating is done from the back of the card. Next time though I must remember to brush some talc on first.