Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barbara's New Stamps from the SECC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation, Phree. What's the difference between a splodge away mat and a non-stick crafting mat? (Although I have to confess to using oven liner from the pound shop as I find non-stick craft mats far too expensive.)

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could get results like that well done

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the kind comments. To answer the questions about the splodge mat - yes it's worth it - very worth it IMO. I like to think I mastered (well sorta mastered) Barbara's brayering techniques a few years back - I say sorta mastered cuz I would never have said I was up to her standard, but I had a decent grasp of the basics and could turn out a fairly respectable attempt at a card made in that style. However the issue always was, for me at least, over inking and also bleeding in of colour so as at the inner edge (nearer the center of the card) the colour would bleed away to nothing very gently. Barbara has always made that look so easy, but you have to do the wheelie to soften the ink at the edge of the brayer and you also have to be brave to taken enough ink off the brayer onto scrap paper or you end up over-inked and loose all that lovely subtle effect.

Anyhooooooo the splodge mat......yep it's odd - whatever the heck it's made from does react in an unusual way with the ink. Most "plasticy" type surfaces repel water - making it bead into droplets - think about that - with ink it would mean an uneven distribution of the ink over the brayer giving you a speckled look But the spodge mat seems to suck up the ink and hold int an wonderfully even but thin film of colour. This makes it sooooo much easier to avoid over inking and also to acheive that gradual fade away of colour towards the edge of the brayer. I got the 12 x 12 mat - um around £12 quid I think but not sure anyhoo..... money very well spent IMO and I would recommend it to anyone who loves Barbara's style, but has until now struggled to replicate the techniques she has used in the past........ooooooo and another thing..... it makes a fabulous reversing stamp.