Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charity update

Post Thanks / Like

I think I mentioned in one of the other threads that we are getting rather crafty in our office. A couple of our team members are very keen knitters and one of them has been knitting for the Knit A Square (http://www.knit-a-square.com/) project for South African orphans for some time. They suggested around a month ago (just after I sent some of my spare yarn to Suban!) that it would be good as a team to try and knit (or crochet - that's allowed too) enough squares for a blanket (35 8" x 8"). Most of the female team members and a couple of the males agreed to contribute at least one square (including 3 who didn't know how to it) and the others agreed to sponsor or outsource to knitting members of their family. Anyway, the whole thing has taken off much more than we thought with various other people from our office wanting to learn to knit/crochet so they could contribute at least one square and as a result, even though we are only halfway through our time limit, the squares count is currently 123, people taught to crochet - 2 and people taught to knit - 4. It's been really good for boosting morale as we have a wall chart tracking our progress and it's a bit of a talking point - though the office does look a bit different with knitting needles and yarn scattered here and there....

Our company has also been offered a stand at the Christmas market in our office complex to sell handcrafted Christmas items and the powers-to-be have agreed we can use a few hours of office time each to make stuff. I was racking my brains to with items which non-crafty people could make. I spotted some fabric wreaths online and thought this might be something straightforward to do, so I bought some wreath rings online and some cheap cotton fabric and made the prototype below for around £2.20. It's nothing like the masterpieces that some of you folks turn out, but I took it into the office to show a few people and we now have several volunteers to make them. Thinking about trying out fabric Christmas bunting as the next idea....

Post Thanks / Like

It looks fantastic, good luck with the sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the wreath!!!!

23 scarves and 5 hats to date! Children in Need night tonight so kettle filled and heaps of knitting to do. May also start some premmie stuff tonight.
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Love the wreath!! Would love to know how to make one.
    Have just packaged another 10 Christmas cards to sell on Sunday. So far I've raised £70 for Crisis before my sleep out on Wednesday. Watching the weather forecast with bated breath!
    Last edited by Chalet School Fan; 16-11-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    Love the wreath!! Would love to know how to make one.
    Have just packaged another 10 Christmas cards to sell on Sunday. So far I've raised £70 for Crisis before my sleep out on Wednesday. Watching the weather. Forecast with bated breath!
    I've done a search and was going to post some links but so many came up! Just google 'Christmas wreath made from scraps of material'. You could be missing a while LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok just had to come back and post this link - there's 88 different wreaths on it!

http://www.tipjunkie.com/diy-decorating/make-wreaths/

Post Thanks / Like

They are SO easy to make - no need really for instructions. Just cut strips of fabric (you need quite a lot so i used a rotary cutter) and tie them either onto a wreath frame or a wire coat hangar until the wire is all covered. I'm going to make one for my cousin for Christmas who got married this year with some felt shapes with her name, her husband's name and 2012 on it.

Yes, lots of instructions on the web and plenty of people selling variants at outrageous prices (anything from £15 to £100 plus) considering the one I made only took an hour.