Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's what we're making this week: 3-9 Dec

Post Thanks / Like

It is so interesting to see different techniques being used. I love it all and very impressed with such neat stitching GP. Anything I sewed definitely wouldn't look that neat! The pebeo paints effect looks as good as they promised, very tempting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's what we're making this week: 3-9 Dec

Lovely bags Penny.
    I only bought a 'discovery' set of the pebeo fantasy paints, 6 small pots for just under £10 delivered. You use so little that they will go quite a way.

Post Thanks / Like

How I wish you hadn't told me that Jammy! Did you get the set from CC or C & C? Also, may I ask if you did your vases using a stamp or freehand?
    Think this links to my Pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/chucklemouse/

Post Thanks / Like

Fab work JAMMY especially love the little Jumper

Lovely book bags GrannyPenny your DPC will love hers I'm sure

I'm not feeling crafty at all at the moment - I seem to seize up when the outsize temperature dips below 6 degrees - I'm so weedy!

Thanks for posting the photos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's what we're making this week: 3-9 Dec

Penny, the vases were drawn freehand- only circles and lines- onto copier paper, then placed inside the vase. I would add that the liner is not easy to use. I've done a fair amount of glass painting in my time so knew it would be tricky. I hope the people who bought the sets from C&C don't give up too soon as it does take practice. I used to ice cakes and found that easier than this liner!

I didn't buy them from C&C but can't tell you which site I did get them from ATM, will post in the morning when I have that info.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing so clever as you wonderful people but I've made a thank you card for a blind friend. It's for a man; I know flowers are more girly than masculine, but I was a bit stuck for ideas as to what would be nice and tactile for him. This huge flower seemed to fit the bill as it has fabric and chiffon layers and beads glued in the centre. The background "paper" is actually DCWV self-adhesive fabric, which is like fine cotton. As it feels different from paper, hopefully it will give an extra level of interest for him. Obviously the primary requirement is that the card is interesting for the blind person, but I also wanted it to look good to sighted people, because I'm fairly sure he will show it off to people, as he did with the birthday card I gave him earlier in the year. I bought a braille writer frame earlier in the year so have put "Thank you" in braille on the front and a longer braille message inside.

I once suggested to the owner of a small rubber stamp company (one which does loads of alphabets) that they should make braille alphabet stamps and messages. She said she didn't see the point but I'm sure if they were heat embossed, the embossing powder would form raised dots that could be read by a blind person. What does anyone else think? Have I found a gap in the market that I could exploit, if only I weren't so lazy - oops, I mean busy?

I'd be very grateful for any other ideas for cards for someone totally blind. I saw somewhere some voice recorder gizmos so you can record a personal message which will play when the cards open, but mainly it's ideas for textured stuff to put on the front of the card that I'm after. I'm thinking of cutting a Christmas tree shape from one of those thin green pan scourers for a Christmas card.

Roy Thank you small.JPG
    Last edited by Mitzi; 06-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How lovely Mitzi. Cardmaking has never come easily to me so I admire everyone who does them and I think it is great that you are exploring ways to make cards for someone who is blind. The only thing I can think of is using seed beads as a centre for flowers and perhaps using dies to cut shapes in felt so that you can feel them. Good luck whatever you use as I am sure it will be appreciated.
    Think this links to my Pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/chucklemouse/

Post Thanks / Like

How thoughtful of you Mitzi. Was just thinking, if you had a braille alphabet, maybe you could use seed beads stuck on the card, using the alphabet as a pattern to follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JAMMY View Post
    And lastly for today - just finished a jumper for my grandson. (Lobby will be pleased to read this!)Attachment 3874
    People gave us hand knitted things when are boys were little, but nothing as good as this lovely jumper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    How thoughtful of you Mitzi. Was just thinking, if you had a braille alphabet, maybe you could use seed beads stuck on the card, using the alphabet as a pattern to follow.
    They would have to be really, really tiny and it would be extremely fiddly trying to stick them in exactly the correct positions - getting the spacing completely even. It's a good idea but I don't think I could be that precise. Thanks for the suggestion, though.