Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are Altered Crafts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Are Altered Crafts?

Can someone tell me what "Altered Crafts" are please?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

To my mind it is something that you either decorate to make it look more attractive or something that you alter the use of, say and old bean can, not that i like beans lol but if you then decorated the empty can with pretty paper or embelishements and used it to hold your pencils i think that would qualify as altered art

Anne Guest

Or a plain notepad that you could cover with lovely paper and tie some pretty ribbons to the spiral binding.

Post Thanks / Like

That's made me a little wiser on the subject. Thank you! :o

Post Thanks / Like

altered books are very popular. u tear pages out, stick pages together and make secret doorways. you then decorate witnh paints, papers, embellishments and so on.tim Holtz products lend themselves very well to this craft

Post Thanks / Like

not sure if I'm alone in this, I just can't see the point of the altered books thing. I'm afraid ripping pages out of books is alien to me. When you've done them what are you supposed to do with them?

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to know more about altered art then this blog is worth a look.

http://thornsartplace.blogspot.com/

As for me, well some altered art I get - and some of it just does nothing for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Phree, thank you for the link, much appreciated although I am not 100% I get the sense of the craft at all although the memory page was very beautiful. Maybe it's one of those crafts that "grabs you" from the off.

Thanks
    Muffin

Post Thanks / Like

Your very welcome Muffintop - btw I should perhaps have mentioned that blog belongs to Rob from Once Upon A Stamp, my understanding is that Rob is very highly respected for the work he does - as I say I don't always get it with altered art so I don't feel qualified to comment myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is one of those things gets you when you aren't looking, like most crafts
    You buy some acrylic paint for one project, then you starting thinking what else can you use it. I have to admit I have problems with the book thing too, it is probably something we have been brought up with a repect for.