Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Things Change

Post Thanks / Like

Smile How Things Change

I've been buying the newish Knit and Stitch mag and there have been various projects to do.

This is one of them and it's for a 0 - 3 month baby. I must have lost track and for some reason I don't really like it. Much prefer the pretty lacy matinee jackets but I suppose they aren't in. :giggle: What is 'in' these days?

The colours could have been the otherway round ie more blue and less red, the white just the same.

Post Thanks / Like

All things Matelot in a chunky cotton knit seem to be popular at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

It's lovely :)

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like that cardigan and would prefer it to a matinee jacket - especially for a boy

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Funnily enough the old style, as in vintage, is still very popular. There is a shop at Elsecar that Christine at the stitching group knits for, and they want more of the vintage stuff, 80's and earlier. Not just baby items, but adult stuff as well. Shops in London are awash with vintage.

The crochet magazine I have been buying recently has a vintage item inside the back cover each month, the knitting version probably has the same. They tend to be a bit disparaging about the design, but apart from perhaps the colours, I could see the same items still being worn today.

I personally wouldn't be seen dead in some of the so called fashion stuff that is around at the moment. I see no point in those shrug things. Too hot when it is hot, and totally useless at keeping out the cold when it is cold.

I quite like the little ardigan myself, though having this 'thing' about red, I wouldn't have included that particular colour.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I agree with Lioness. I prefer this style - very nice.
    Think this links to my Pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/chucklemouse/

Post Thanks / Like

:mysmilie_492:

Sorry girls, I'm of the old school, and prefer babies (either sex) to look like babies. I have eight grandchildren and from about number 3 I havent done any baby knitting because their mums like the modern stuff - which has its place in older babies - but I hate to see newborns in b.... denims and suchlike, but each to their own!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jacksmissus - you read my thoughts - I hate seeing babies in denim as well! When they get to crawling what happened to good old romper suits! I've got a 2ply shawl on the go at the moment from a VERY old Patons woolcraft book - they updated it for their centenary, but my old (cost 9d) one is still my favourite. Stylecraft brought out a beautiful newborn pattern (number 4165) in 3 ply - shawl, dress, matinee coat, bonnet, bootees and shawl - itching to do it!!!!!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jacksmissis and Suban, I've still got patterns from probably 40 years ago definitely 32 years ago. 1've also got some of my Mum's patterns which are even olded, she loved knitting. I've always loved knitting the old fashioned baby stuff because it's so pretty. I don't find the one above pretty at all. That one is actually the girls' one. The boys' one had the blue where the red is and vice versa.

Years ago I knitted my hubby an Arran cardi in a dark bluey green and couldn't get a chunky zip for it. It's still upstairs never worn plus still no zip lol. Don't think it would fit him now lol. Must be at least 30 years old!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you made me go and have a look:giggle: so here are some of the old patterns which I loved.

This is the one I like most. Have knitted them all except the top pink and white one. All in white too.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post