Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Daughters engagement cake

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Daughters engagement cake

Looks like we'll be comparing notes Jan. It's a small world, I also make cakes, well used to not many any more. I made my younger daughter's wedding cake 6 years ago so may be asked to make another one for April 2014!

My daughter is getting married at a race course on a Friday with invites for close family only and a blessing at the church she grew up in 8 days later followed by a large party in the church hall.

Post Thanks / Like

:mysmilie_492:

Aah bless you both!! I made a two-tier for one of my daughters and a 3-tier for my sons weddings, I was a nervous wreck but loved it!! daughter numb two had fresh flowers on M & S 3 tiers. My daughter and daughter in law both do cakes as a little income and do some beautiful work, I really envy them both but couldnt cope with the nerves!!

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I was asked to make birthday cakes for twin boys who were to be 2 years old. I made 2 x number 2 shaped cakes, one with chocolate buttercream and one with pale blue buttercream. Both had fondant teddy bears in opposite colours, blue / brown, and their names in icing. They were boxed and ready for my sister to collect for her friend.

At this point we had no car so my sister would take me to the supermarket once a month to stock up. We arranged this trip before she picked up the cakes.

On our return from the shop my husband was baring my way to the dining room. He used kept telling me it would be ok! What would be ok? Tell me!

Whilst we were out my youngest daughter ( about 2 at the time) had climbed on the dining room chair and had pulled one of the cake boxes to the floor! My husband had picked it up and did what he could so that the damage didn't look too bad.

I didn't know whether to cry or rage. My daughter luckily had been put to bed so she was out of harms way.

In the end my sister had to return in the morning for the cake, and I spent some time amending the surviving cake and remodelling more bears.

That was stressful. As you can tell even after all these years (25) it's a 'cake memory' that I shall never forget.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow
    thats fantastic

Post Thanks / Like

Jan, you are too hard on yourself, its beautiful,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JAMMY View Post
    Looks like we'll be comparing notes Jan. It's a small world, I also make cakes, well used to not many any more. I made my younger daughter's wedding cake 6 years ago so may be asked to make another one for April 2014!

My daughter is getting married at a race course on a Friday with invites for close family only and a blessing at the church she grew up in 8 days later followed by a large party in the church hall.
    Daughter has now booked the Church and Reception for 5th April.
    They are getting married in the Church the family belong to and are having the reception at a golf club, had a look at pictures and it all looks very nice once I get a free weekend we will go and have a proper look.the wedding plans are not traditionally done ,as we have no real input lol,we have set a budget and that's it.to be honist at the moment I am happy that is how it is going as I am not reallay up to getting too involved at the moment. and as she lives over an hour away getting together is not eazy.off to look at dresses tomorrow to see what will suit her,as she is very petite,size 6/8 so I expect there will be few tantrums when nothing fits lol.She got my dress out to look at, which I had to have made, and I thought she was tiny geez my dress would even go over her hips,wish I was that small now.
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

That's lovely Jan, good to know things are coming together. My daughter is getting married on the 4th!
    I too am not really involved as she lives about 45 mins away and they do not have a car. I'm sure if there are any problems then we will get involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is stunning, I am not a good cake maker so luckily when my daughter got married we had one made. But didnt avoid making her wedding dress though, she wanted a particular design based on the Pride and Prejudice books. The little bodice coat was made out of a difficult piece of material the dress was in a heavy silk. No zips on the dress, I hand sewed tiny loops for the very tiny pearl buttons, in all about forty for the main dress, then I think for the bodice jacket it was about fifteen to twenty, cant remember now. Oh boy I was so glad when I had finished but she did look lovely, even if the marriage didnt last, she still has the dress and jacket.

Tricia

http://www.townrow.org.uk/

Post Thanks / Like

How wonderful Tricia, it was my wish as my daughters shopped for their wedding dresses that I was able to make them for them.
    I do sew, but my skills are not up to wedding dresses.

Post Thanks / Like

I made my own wedding dress and one of my daughters too, both of them had trains and were fully lined !! My daughters had the small buttons on too Tricia but wouldnt have been as fiddly as yours and I even made them (30) (they were nylon, and you covered them and squashed the backs on) complete with those b... loops! was beautiful though and when they went to Australia, even tho she broke her home up she packed her dress. Cant get into mine anymore! Think in general, the young ones of today like to do things themselves, funny how things change.