Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirt finally finished

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Shirt finally finished

It just needs a rinse through to get rid of the blue marks where the buttonholes are, then a proper pressing, and 'himself' can wear it. :clapping:

As I seem to have problems when it comes to hand sewing, no idea why as I can cross stitch ok, I bit the bullet and did the buttonholes using the machine. Didn't read the destructions properly, so didn't realise where the left hand side of the button hole is, the machine runs backwards. Good job I have loads of the material left to do plenty of practicing before I tackled the things in situ so to speak.

I've no idea why there is so much material left, must be at least half a metre. No matter, I have cut a load of squares, 100 to be exact, of assorted pretty fabric, so will use the spare material to use for the backing on a puff quilt. I was reading up about those puff quilts on t'Internet. It appears originally (Victorian times) they were stuffed with flannel, which made them very heavy. They were popular again in the 1970's, when recycling was the 'in thing'. Stuffed in those days with old tights, which made them as heavy as the earlier ones. Of course we can now use polyester stuffing, and not too much of it. That produces a much lighter weight quilt, so could actually be used.

Apparently there are two methods for making these quilts. One is the way Jennie did them on C & C, the other is to sew them right sides together, then turn before stuffing, stuff, and oversew the edges. Don't bother coughing up good money for those quilt thingies she was flogging, just use pins, it works just as well. There is a third method, but that requires the front and backs to be the same size. Easier of course, but it doesn't give the same raised effect.

One last note, they aren't really quilts apparently, but what the American's call comforters. I'm now wondering if I can make one in 1/12th scale. ;)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RozMinis View Post
    One last note, they aren't really quilts apparently, but what the American's call comforters. I'm now wondering if I can make one in 1/12th scale. ;)

Roz
    I'm sure if any one can, it will be you, Roz. And I'd love to see pictures of either the full size or the miniature.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun project. I remember those quilts in the 1970s.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on getting the shirt finished!!!! Off to make another one????
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I dunno about another one............ finding materal with a pattern suitable for a man isn't easy these days. It is almost as if the male of the species has to have bought clothes.

I'll have to think about the puff quilt in miniature. Will probably end up making it without the pleats as I reckon they would be a tad on the bulky side. I made about a dozen Suffolk Puff (or Yo-yo as they are known in the USA) one year. I was fluffit sitting at the time, but had to do something to pass the time, so I cut out hundreds of circles of fabric, then tacked them into puffs during that week. A two pence piece might not buy much, not even a trip to the loo(!) but useful as a template. ;)

I really am going to have to get on with making some 1/12th scale hooded felt capes for the DHUK birthday swap. The original plan was to make one for the Advent swap, but I need four items very soon, as in by the end of the month. I have one piece of felt, but need to invest in another three pieces, or even four as I could do something slightly more Christmassy for the Advent swap. :)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

A lady at our Craft club is using a variety of sizes of Suffolk puffs using Christmas fabric and threading them together to make little Christmas trees as decorations!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Now that sounds like a brill idea. Wonder if there would be room on my trees for some........... what am I saying, I haven't made up that felted Christmas pudding yet, or the assorted Pinflair ornaments I bought. Not even sure if I will be putting a tree up in the hall this year, not after what Inky did to the thing last year. I wouldn't have minded so much if it hadn't been for the "look how clever I am" on her face. Still perhaps as she is a year older she might not be quite so naughty.

I think I am going to have top put my quilting to one side as I need to make some more cards for the fluffit/woofit shop. I think there is only me making them at the moment. There is a card shop only a couple of doors down, but peeps seem dead keen on hand made cards.

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

That's cos they're sick of all the identical cards that regular card shops sell!

Post Thanks / Like

Well Done for getting the shirt finished :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suban View Post
    That's cos they're sick of all the identical cards that regular card shops sell!
    Aw bless you flower. One thing is for certain no two of mine are ever identical. Even when I had to produce 20+ ATC's with the same birthday month/stone, I still managed to make each one different. In days of old there was one ATC swap group I belonged to in Canada, had to make four all the same each month. Gawd did I get bored out of my flippin' socks!

I've put the sewing machine back in its bag, ditto the patchwork pieces, but I will get around to them again sometime in the not too distant (I hope) future. Been cross stitching while the horse racing was on. Followed this up with a spot of crochet, dressing a 1/12th scale baby. Cut out two 1/12th scale felt capes last night, stitched them together, going to decorate them with the wool rovings tonight. Need to invest in another three pieces of felt on Monday as I need five capes altogether - all different of course. ;)

Roz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post