Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you sell your crafts!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face do you sell your crafts!

Hi everyone I hope your well? Just wondering if any of you sell your items that you have made? I dont think mine are good enough but would love to hear how many of you do, or do you just do it for fun and to give away to people?

much love

vicky

Post Thanks / Like

I have; (not a lot) I've sold decoupage sheets that I have done (farmer related ones) to a now long gone craft shop, and a couple of one off's from there, plus a few others; I don't set out to sell my stuff though, I get asked to make cards, from a retirement one for a Lady who worked in my local Co-op to (again farmers) special birthdays
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vicky, yes I sell my cards and jewellery, I used to design make and sell wedding dresses, but have been away from that for quite a few years, have recently got the patchwork quilting bug, n a couple of friends n family have comissioned quilts.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much for the replys lady's so notmorecrafts where do you sell yours online??? local shops?? i cant even get inspiration for cards at the mo

Post Thanks / Like

My cards n jewelry I sell friends, friends of friends and at work (large office), n a couple of local craft fairs. my sewing its always been word of mouth, n luckily always been really busy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only sold my cards for charity - I always feel my work isn't good enough to sell commercially. However, I do get lots of orders for customised cards and I think that is the route I would have gone down if I needed to sell cards to make money for me. I find it is usually word of mouth that gets me most of my orders.

I have sold cross stitch quilts and samplers to friends who wanted specific designs to match their furnishings. I made a cot quilt with cross stitch designs which matched the nursery wallpaper about 10 years ago. It was for a friend and I was only going to ask for the cost of the materials ( £20), so I was delighted when she paid me £70!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow £70 instead of £20....what a lovely surprise. I keep telling my sister to sell all her hand made crochet stuff but she doesn't......i hope she is not trying to drop me a hint lol. Thanks for your insights everyone I don't think mine are good enough..which is why I give them away lol

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately people who don't make things themselves have no idea of the time and effort handmade things take. So they aren't willing to pay a fair price. I make things I like for people I like, but I wouldn't do it as a moneymaking venture.

I was doing a class with Jane Greenoff and she regaled us with the story of a television company who rang her up to ask her to produce a sampler in 5 days and were amazed when she said that was impossible! In the end they settled for a computer generated sampler. But her payment was tickets to Have I Got News for You, with a surprise invite to the after show party. Think I'd have been very happy with that!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I sell my jewellery, however just so you are all aware that even if you only sell a small amount or to friends and family you have to register with HMRC. I would imagine you could maybe get away with it if you are just selling to really close people but if you sell in a workplace or at craft fairs you could end up with a big fine.

Just thought I would put it out there

Post Thanks / Like

I used to sell my cross stitch at craft fairs but people don't appreciate how much time and effort goes into it.I amke a lot of card and thought I would give some to the local charity shops so they could make some money but they did'nt want them,which I was surprised about as I had heard a lot of people do this.
    So if anyone wants a batch of cards for a charity I will be happy to make some for a good cause.