Thread: Pearl advice needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pearl advice needed

I need some advice on stringing pearls & hope somebody on here can help me. I want to make my 3 grandaughters a pearl necklace each but am unsure what is the best stringing material to use. Any advice will be most appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

well it would depend how large the holes are in the pearls and /or if you want the thread to be seen. Tiger tail is strong and could kink and may not go through the hole although its nice, mono filament is fine but is fiddly, size E silk thread is often used. A friend said she uses beadalon 49 strand wire 019 thickness and will only use this with pearls.
    Hope this is some help :)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Keiko that is very useful :)

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently re-strung a pearl bracelet using No4 Silk thread. This is made by Griffin and comes with a needle already attached so will happily go through the smaller holes that pearls usually have. I made the bracelet originally with Tiger Tail but it broke. I used a Beadalon knotting tool to knot between each pearl. This is not essential but it helps because, if the bracelet breaks again, the pearls will not scatter everywhere as they did before. I personally think that the end result with knotting makes the jewellery more fluid when worn. I used a Beadalon knotting tool to make knotting easier but I have knotted between other beads without it. I have also thought of trying the Beadalon 49 strand wire - more expensive but very strong and less liable to break.

Hope this helps.

My blog

https://www.facebook.com/KelpiesGems
    Last edited by holliecraft; 04-10-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

either silk thread or Tigertail

I use freshwater pearls all the time and have never had my Tigertail snap, its very strong. If you do use Tigertail remember its improtand to finish it off with good crimp beads and if possible wire guradians or cullotes.

http://littlemissmuffetscraftymoments.blogspot.com/