Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fund Raising for Nepal

Post Thanks / Like

So pleased you're back safely, aren't the children bonny? The paddy field ablutions sound fun!!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

To think, you hear the kids here whinging cos they haven't got the latest "must have". These children have so little by comparison and yet are so aspirational for something that is worth more than the latest computer game. Our priorities are now just so wrong.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suban View Post
    To think, you hear the kids here whinging cos they haven't got the latest "must have". These children have so little by comparison and yet are so aspirational for something that is worth more than the latest computer game. Our priorities are now just so wrong.
    Yes they are Suban. And the very very saddest thing is its our own doing, trying to better what we had (as our parents did for us too). I bet CSF will even see this when she goes there, that the Mums and Dads poor as they are, are trying so hard to give their kids what they don't have. Bless 'em.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well CSF - can I print copies of your photos off for our church notice board?

The craft ladies were very interested in your latest report, and would also be wiling to help. We're going to put info about your Nepal trip in our weekly notice sheet as well. Please let us know what you would like making.
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

What can we do to help CSF? I imagine it would be best to raise money here due to the cost of sending items to them? We could become the Crafty Friends of the school:mysmilie_844:

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for your support. As I took the photos and asked the people if it was OK to do so I have no problem about you sharing them Suban.

At the moment we are considering the best way to move forward with supporting the school. They need £10,000 to build new classrooms for the youngest children so they can keep the older ones on at the school until they are 16 (2 more years). That money we have raised by a whole school sponsored walk each year in September. The money I raised by my cards etc. I spent on materials for the lessons the girls taught - they got every child in the school to paint something special to them on a square of felt. The squares were then sewn together by the local tailor to make a 'love blanket' which now hangs in the library room. So I had bought lots of basic packs of felt to take out, face paints ( which the kids loved) plus as many English books as I could squeeze into my case. However, the school is keen to develop its ability to teach computing, so that is an area we are looking to spend money next time. We are investigating cheap, sturdy laptops, but there is no Internet connection except over the mobile phone network. So we are looking at funding airtime via dongles, but no idea how much that is likely to cost at present.

So if you are interested in helping I will make sure any money is put to good use, but there is no urgency as the school is going to look at their needs, particularly for the older pupils and let us know what their priorities are. But I am really touched about the interest so many people on this forum have shown.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing those photo's they look as they are doing the best they can with what they have got. I am constantly fund raising and doing all I can to help my cause but I am more than willing to donate a couple of items as and when you need them for raffle/tombola prizes or simply to sell. I think what you are doing is wonderful and if I was so not involved with what I do then I would offer my help.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had an idea for this that we could all participate in, so would like to know what folk think about (although I think that we might want to actually do it in the New Year, given CSF's comments on timings and with Christmas approaching).

If you are anything like me, I'm sure you've got unused stash in your craft room, excellent quality, but it just doesn't float your boat anymore? What about holding a silent auction on Craft Telly? I think the exact details, if this was of interest, would need to be ironed out, but I think it could work something like this.
    1. We set up a dedicated area in the non-VIP area for listing items and we set up a Just Giving Page for CSF
    2. If you have something to auction, you photograph and list it on Craft Telly, inviting "bids" by Private Message, with a clear cut off date.
    3. Once closed, the winner bidder would be notified and they would need to make their bid-donation on the dedicated Just Giving page, providing a message that would include some identifying message that linked the donation to bid (needn't mean anything to anyone else, could just mean something between the winning bidder and the person providing the auction item)
    4. Address details etc would be exchanged by PM, and goods sent once donation had been made on Just Giving Page.
    5. In the example I've given, the person donating the item would also be paying the postage, but I'm sure that each individual listing could work out a way around this if a direct contribution to postage was required.

What do folks think, would this be of interest? I've been racking my brains trying to think of a way that we could get involved collectively, not just individually :)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

My Craft Blog - DipsDesigns.com My Pinterest Boards My Youtube Craft Videos

Post Thanks / Like

I had thought about something on the same lines, but wondered how things stood as far as gaming was concerned i.e. you have to obtain something or other to be able to run a raffle etc. I would be interested in joining in, but I'm not sure how much I've got going spare because I gave a ton of stuff to adults with learning disabilities and to the little girl over the road.

I would also be interested if some peeps decided to offer die cuts for sale because after all we can't afford every die that comes out. I would rather buy them with the revenue going to Nepal rather than on Ebug. Of course it would have to be the ones that you can sell (i.e. not Silhouette).

As to postage, when some items are heavy I think the postage should be split between the seller and buyer.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I would definitely be interested in doing something along these lines. I have too much stuff and it would be good to downsize a bit and for a very worthwhile cause. I would like to wait until after Christmas as there's just too much going on at the moment but in the meantime I can be sorting and looking out stuff to put into the auction. keep me posted!