Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother LS14 Sewing Machine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brother LS14 Sewing Machine

I'm thinking of buying a lightweight sewing machine to replace my 30+ year old machine which has never worked well since I made quilted shells for DSs Teenage Mutant Turtle fancy dress costumes when they were at primary school!!

The Brother LS14 is 20% of at Hobbycraft this week and looks as if it might fit the bill - no more sewing up patchwork quilts by hand !!! :)

Has anyone got / used one and can recommend it? It will only be used occasionally and not for heavyweight materials.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about the machine, but if you do decide to go for it, join their club and that qualifies you to a further 15% discount on your first order.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking for a lightweight machine around about £100 for a couple of months and it was a toss up between the brother from Hobbycraft or the basic husqvana from C&C. Not quite sure why but I wanted the husqvana since I saw it on C&C before christmas but I dithered and missed out. So I went for it when it was on a couple of weeks ago as I used the extra 10% off and it came with the chest of other bits and bobs. I wasn't that bothered about the chest but I suppose it was worth a tenner for the cottons (not best quality though) but okay for me to get some practice in.

Sorry I can't give any advice about the brother but I thought someone on here did have one. With the all the discounts at HC it should work out a good price.

I've only had a little go on my husqvana just to test it was working okay but am pleased with it. Glad of the needle threader as my eysight isn't what it used to be lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother CSF, but its not that one. Mines an Inovis CS8080 with automatic threading cassette, they don't make this machine anymore tho. Don't know how your peepies are but mine are shocking and I find the cassette a real boon but the Husqvarna that Summer has is a really good buy with all the bits and bobs (the chest was about £40 on its own) and it does have a needle threader on to - as a lot of machines do these days. Guess it depends on how often you need to use it and what features you would need.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comments. I was only looking for something basic, but I prefer to buy a well-known name rather than something really cheap from Ikea or Lidl!

Decided to buy it as it today as it was £63 with the 20% discount voucher. :) So far it seems ideal for my needs - straight stitches and zigzag stitches are all that I want for making up household bits and pieces and, perhaps the occasional sun dress or skirt. Might get around to using up all those oddments of fabric I've got in my stash!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope its alright for you CSF, give it a good work-out when you get it to make sure its ok,. At that price you're certainly not being fleeced. Lets know how you get on!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got several pieces of completed cross stitch and the material to make them up into cushions, so I'll give it a good try out tomorrow putting them together. It's a long time since I used a sewing machine, but watching the Great British Sewing Bee has got me inspired. The only practical lessons I had at school were 2 terms learning to make a dress - translating Latin prose was much more important! But my Mum made all my clothes when I was at home ( sewing and knitting ) so I learned a lot from her.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that's grand - I thought you had to order it! Enjoy your new toy!

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

After my accident I let my Brother machine go as I honestly didn't think I would be able to use it again. It wasn't anything fancy, only bought it because I could no longer haul my much loved (and used) New Home from floor to table. It was all metal, apart from the cover, and weighed about three tons, at least that was what it felt like!

Then as one does I decided I really did need a sewing machine, so bought one from Argos, their own brand. Well it was a lovely little machine, just what I needed really. Unfortunately after a few days it began screeching like a banshee, so I returned it. I think the belt was probably too tight, or had slipped, but when something is still under guarantee, one does faff about with it. I then tossed up between a Brother and a Toyota. 'Himself' said he understood cars, rotten joke on his par, so I bought the Toyota.

It didn't come with the self threading thingie, and I can't get one to fit it. :( Wished I had bought the Brother now as it did come with the needle threading thingie. I'm not happy about the zig-zag either as on the New Home I could adjust it and the stitch length to suit myself. The Toyota has set widths and lengths, like it or lump it. I think I must have been very spoilt with that New Home as it had cams for 40 different stitches, plus the buttonhole, button sewing, and all the other stuff that one wants from a machine that worked as hard as it did during the 70's and 80's. I suppose it was fairly expensive £54, at the time I bought it, though still considerably cheaper than the Bernina, Jones and Singer machines I had been looking at.

I really do miss not making my own clothes, but ready made are so cheap these days. Patterns are also expensive, even the cheapest are round about £5, with most being a tenner, or even more. I'm also short of cutting out space, no kitchen or dining table I'm afraid. I bought myself a board that I can use on the bed, but have to use scissors as it is only made from card. I bought some material last week to make myself a blouse, but have to wait until I reach my first target weight before I can make it. Not because I wouldn't be able to fit into it, but because it will be my treat for reaching the target. Still a couple of kilos to go.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

If you want some simple sewing projects, clearly explained then Debbie Shore has done some great tutorials on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/thimblelane/videos

xx:bear:
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post