Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blogging!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blogging!!!

Hi ladies,

so I keep thinking about starting a blog (because I am going stir crazy recovering from surgery) but I was wondering how did you all get started? And how do you advertise your blog, I know I am still a newbie to this whole crafting business but we all have to start somewhere right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
    Hi ladies,

so I keep thinking about starting a blog (because I am going stir crazy recovering from surgery) but I was wondering how did you all get started? And how do you advertise your blog, I know I am still a newbie to this whole crafting business but we all have to start somewhere right?
    A very interesting thread because I've always wanted to start a blog but haven't got a clue.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

No good asking me chuck, haven't enough hours in a day for what I do now! Not to worry though, someone will be along soon to advise!!

Post Thanks / Like

There was an article in a craft magazine recently. Don't know how well it will show up on screen for you but these are the scanned pages.

Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

As a bit of a blog-addict, I'll add my tuppence worth. My first piece of advice would be to do some thinking and planning before you even start actually blogging. What do you want to do with your blog? Do you want to use it to share about your life and family, or is it strictly about craft or is it a bit if everything? How much time so you want to spend on it? Is it really just for yourself or do you want to build a following? Have you got a decent camera and what are your photography skills like?

A blog can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. You can update it as frequently or infrequently as you like, but if you do want to build a following, you will need to provide fresh content regularly. However, a blog is great way of keeping a record of your crafting activity. It's not the only way to do this, though. You could join Pinterest with a board of your cards or an Instagram account or a Google+ page. In my view, these are easier to maintain than a blog is, but still give the opportunity to record and share your work.

If you do want to start a blog, there are two main platforms, Blogger and Wordpress. Each has it's pros and cons, I would say that Blogger is simpler to start with, but Wordpress offers more features if you start to get really serious. Both a fairly intuitive and there are loads and loads of free tutorials out there in web space to help you if you ever get stuck.

Hope that has helped?
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post

My Craft Blog - DipsDesigns.com My Pinterest Boards My Youtube Craft Videos

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vicky. If you start a blog don't forget to tell us so we can start following it. Always in need of new inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks everyone. Dips I have a good camera as photography is a hobby of mine but I shall defiantly sit and think about what I want to blog and where I see it going.
    all your advice has been great

Post Thanks / Like

A little more advice.

Firstly always remember that what you put on the internet can never truly be deleted - so think carefully how much of yourself you wish to share out there in blogland when planning what sort of content you wish to have on your blog.

Secondly it's YOUR blog and nobody else's, when and what and how often you blog is your choice and never become a slave to your blog - it should be FUN - and not end up feeling like a full time job where you must post something every day! Suggest any would be blogger reads this: Blogging Without Obligation

http://inkstainsurvivor.blogspot.com/ :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phree View Post
    A little more advice.

Firstly always remember that what you put on the internet can never truly be deleted - so think carefully how much of yourself you wish to share out there in blogland when planning what sort of content you wish to have on your blog
    I think that's very sage advice, Phree. I've made a conscious decision to keep my private life largely off the net, I rarely use my Real Life name in the context of my hobbies and never use my leisure persona in the context of my work life. It's not that I have anything to hide, I just don't like mixing the two together.

My Craft Blog - DipsDesigns.com My Pinterest Boards My Youtube Craft Videos

Post Thanks / Like

I can only concur with both Dips and Phree, the blog is your own personal journal and you leave that to posterity. Do it as often or as little as you want and don't feel obligated to 'perform' to your audience otherwise that will drive you crazy.

I wrote an article about how to set up your first blog from a Facebook user point of you but you can still get some valuable tips, I guess, from my effort.

Starting a blog on blogger for cardmakers on Facebook
    Fab

My Kimtag Profile ! :)