Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh no! what's happened to my grand calibur?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh no! what's happened to my grand calibur?

Hi fellow crafters. Can anyone offer any advise please. My GC has become very stiff to pass the plates through. It's quite old-had it since they first came out- and I haven't had this problem before. Just cutting a die is a struggle and impossible to emboss as the plates just won't go through. Has anyone had this problem. I'm sure it will break soon even when just cutting. Has anyone taken the machine apart to look inside.
    Thank you
    Lin

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the earlier models had nylon or plastic gearing and if you've had your's a long time it may be they've started to be "chewed" up. People have taken them apart linnick - I don't think its that difficult, just be careful to re-assemble in the correct order!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is doing exactly the same. What sometimes helps is if you reverse the handle for a while and that seems to get the cogs back in alignment again but I think it is a sign that it is on it's way out. Oyster Stamps are doing a GC repair service now so you could maybe phone them and ask their advice as to what is happening?

Fiona
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed my GC handle is a little stiffer too but didn't realise this was a generic problem. Good job I have the ebosser as a standby in case it finally gives up the ghost. Thanks Fiffimo about the info on Oyster crafts, I didn't know they were doing a repair service.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies ladies. I have taken it apart and found two pieces of plastic that have sheered off where they support some bolts. It doesn't seem to have helped though. I agreed with you Fiona looks like it's on it's way out. I will try to use it in reverse as suggested as I do always turn it in the same direction. I had heard Oyster has a repair/parts service but don't think it will be cost effective to go down that route. Thank you again. I will have to use my trusty big shot fro smaller dies
    Lin

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they could send you the parts you need?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand calibur

HI linnick, you could try getting in touch with spellbinders I had the same problem and yes it turned out to be the nylon gears, I contactad spellbinders and they put me in touch with the people who carry out their repairs for them I must say they were very good, the person you need to send your e-mail to is Karen Hass, khass@spellbinders.us I found her to be very helpful and the repair company arranged collection and delivery, best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is now falling apart as well! There has been a loose bit rattling around in the bottom for ages and now today I felt something happen and there was the sound of more bits rattling around. Managed to shake a piece out and its a piece of green plastic cog - so presumably the rest rattling around are the same. It was one of the originals but even so I expected it to last longer than this! Any suggestions as to what would be a better buy nowadays? - not the electric Ebosser though - I prefer one I can feel what pressure is being applied and needs to be able to emboss A4 folders and the larger dies. I know they are giving glimpses of a new product on C & C that looks exactly like the GC but in a blue/green colour - but if its got the same plastic components I'm not going to be interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is 12 months old and the nylon gears have worn down and the plastic housing around them has broken away. The rattling sound inside was the screws! Wouldn't get another one.
    S

My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jilly;327351]Mine is now falling apart as well! There has been a loose bit rattling around in the bottom for ages and now today I felt something happen and there was the sound of more bits rattling around. Managed to shake a piece out and its a piece of green plastic cog - so presumably the rest rattling around are the same. It was one of the originals but even so I expected it to last longer than this! Any suggestions as to what would be a better buy nowadays?

Like some others I have the Happy cut - it is A4 size, has metal gears and is a great work horse. I bought mine from Samuel Taylor's in Leeds.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post