Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jelly Roll Quilts

Post Thanks / Like

Default jelly Roll Quilts

I saw a demo of these on you tube and thought it would just the think to use up the Kaffe Fassett roll I succumbed to of C&C ages ago.

Well, I started a couple of weeks ago with sewing the strips in a long formation which took me a couple of hours. This afternoon I sat down to finish it so I could at least say I had the quilt top done. Total about 7 hours I guess.

According to the demo it's supposed to take an hour! Don't think I'll ever make a craft presenter somehow but OH thinks it look OK. I'm quite excited to be actually quilting again even if I'm slowwwwww......

:blush:
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Muffintop. Any chance you can post a photo of it so we can all admire it?

Post Thanks / Like

Photo please - and I always think they underestimate how long something will take - or I'm way slow as well!
    Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

Let's have a look, please, love seeing something different.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your lovely comments. I've not sewn a proper sized quilt before and thought the jelly roll would be an easy intro (I've done lots of small quilting) as my skills are a bit rusty. I'm not used to sewing really long pieces of fabric either so, despite my best efforts and a 1/4 in rule and a marking pen some of my sewing went a bit AWOL which will be sorted before I wash it.

Decided on a deep purple to finish around the top with a break-up line of cream between the pattern and the purple, have just bought these online. Also, decided to back the top with muslin (a bit belt and braces) and found some of ebug at a reasonable price. So much for stash busting!!! But I already have the batting.

It's a bit bright and crazy I guess, here's a pic (sorry about my basic camera skills:

IMG00222-20140420-1149.jpg IMG00223-20140420-1150.jpg

The basic premise of these type of quilts is that you sew the material in one continuous piece and then cut it in half and sew the strips together and repeat if you want. You can use your scraps left over in your stash. There are some beautiful examples on the net of what more talented peeps than me have produced.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's quite lovely, MT, I think I've seen that technique being demo'd! You should be rightly proud of your clever work, and I do hope we can see the finished item.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

My Craft Blog - DipsDesigns.com My Pinterest Boards My Youtube Craft Videos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dips View Post
    That's quite lovely, MT, I think I've seen that technique being demo'd! You should be rightly proud of your clever work, and I do hope we can see the finished item.
    Thank you Dips I will be posting pics as I go I think as this will ensure I actually finish it! I think I am the original starter of things unfinished. I am hoping that if I get this quilt out of the way it will find my card making mojo as it might be hiding in my fabric stash!

Post Thanks / Like

Well ain't that stunning - well done!!!

Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515:

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! What a stunner!!!

You have inspired me to get going on some patchwork of my own, thankyou!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!That's gorgeous.