Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First (adult) attempt at embroidery

Post Thanks / Like

That is beautiful, flipping well done!!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    That's really lovely, love the colours. I would love to attend a course/workshop down there. How did you do the shaded effect?
    I can't lay any claim to the shading I'm afraid, Victoria - the course tutor shaded the areas using felt tip pens. I discovered they weren't waterfast when I was pressing it - should have guessed, I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Muffintop View Post
    That is lovely and I hope you are rightly proud of it.

There is a local embroidery group which I attempted to join a few years ago but apparently, in their opinion, I would not have been good enough to join their group because I admitted I was a bit rusty in my sewing (I used to free-hand embroider as a child), however I would be welcome at their talks!!! Quite knocked back by it at the time as I think you always improve by learning with someone who is good at what they do. No, I didn't attend their talks either!

Please post other examples as you do them.
    That's awful Muffintop! I know Jane Greenoff has complained that a lot of embroiderers are stuffy about cross stitching which is why she started the CSG, but it sounds like some of them are also stuffy about standards. As you say, seeing what others do is the best way to learn and how did they know whether or not you were a champion child embroiderer in any case? I hope it didn't put you off.

Post Thanks / Like

Very envious Spendlots. I did an evening class on Church embroidery at the RSN when it was in Kensington. I loved it and learned lots of shading and gold work techniques while making stoles in preparation for my (then) boyfriend (now) husband's ordination. The best bit was being told by our instructor that our skills were good enough to get us a job in a church vestment manufacturer's workshop.
    I've always promised myself I'd do another course - but the one's I've wanted to do have never fitted in with school and church commitments.
    I've suffered from snide comments about counted work embroidery from 'proper' embroiders. I can do what they do - I just prefer cross stitch and other counted thread techniques. I once did a day class with Darlene O'Steen from the USA and learned how to make the back of my samplers look the same as the front. I once hung up a bell-pull and it was 2 days before I realised that I had hung it up back to front! LOL. I think that is pretty skilful needlework - as hard as the stuff I learned at the RSN!
    Last edited by Chalet School Fan; 21-04-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

That is gorgeous. I'm green, pink and purple with envy as I would love to go on a course there. Actually I would love to do their degree course, but that isn't going to happen.

I have a kit for crewel embroidery. Plus a book, fabric and wools to make up another four pictures. Time and all that is what I don't have unfortunately.

I can't believe that stitching group could be so sniffy Muffintop. I reckon they need a good shoeing.

According to Freesat Jane Greenoff is s'posed to be on C & C on Thursday. Of course their crappy website doesn't go as far as Thursday, in fact they can't even tell us what is for sale on the shows for Wednesday.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely work Spendsloads, and what a lovely thoughtful present from your hubby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spendsloads View Post
    That's awful Muffintop! I know Jane Greenoff has complained that a lot of embroiderers are stuffy about cross stitching which is why she started the CSG, but it sounds like some of them are also stuffy about standards. As you say, seeing what others do is the best way to learn and how did they know whether or not you were a champion child embroiderer in any case? I hope it didn't put you off.
    It did put me off for a while as I was quite crushed by their attitude to be honest. I don't have a huge confidence in my sewing skills and wanted to get better and by joining them I expected to get better. Of course, I'm a bit older and wiser and now think they were such a snotty bunch of mares I would not have enjoyed the group anyway. I hate snootiness in any level of crafting.

Anyway, your work is lovely and I hope your carry on and post some more.

Post Thanks / Like

You must be so proud of yourself. Congratulations it's beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Spends, that is so beautiful, and what a wonderful present. Learning a new skill with a great tutor and enthusastic students is always such a fab thing to do. I find it such a refreshing change from day-to-day life, even though you work hard on your course, you come away feeling so energised from all the newness and achievement! I hope you get to do more courses in the future, and I hope just as much that you'll share your makes with us on here.

Muffintop, your story made my blood boil, what an absolutely awful attitude but you are well out of it. Unfortunately, I think with any interest (not just craft) there are people like that, who like to make themselves feel better by making others feel worse, but fortunately they are in the minority. Most people how have a passion for their interest want to share what they love with other like-minded folk. Hope you've found a nicer group to work with.

My Craft Blog - DipsDesigns.com My Pinterest Boards My Youtube Craft Videos

Post Thanks / Like

Spends - Sorting through my craft mountain and came across 3 cross stitch kits issued by the RSN - evidently if you completed them and sent photos of them to the RSN you could get a certificate. As I've had them (cough sneeze) years I don't know if they still do them, or would honour them - will go off to investigate! One is a cute Teddy on a cushion, one of a frog, and another is a peacock.

Hey I might be able to be certified (yep - I know, I was certified a long time ago!)

Sometimes I'm indecisive, other times I just can't make my mind up :mysmilie_515: