Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simply Cards & Papercraft Magazine Free Die

Post Thanks / Like

Default Simply Cards & Papercraft Magazine Free Die

Normally, the freebies you get with this magazine are really good, but I can't recommend this month's. It's a flower and leaf cutting and embossing die. I had my Cuttlebug out when it arrived, so tried it straight away. I can normally get any small die to cut first, or at least second, attempt. But this one, no chance. I put it through several times, rotated it, shimmed it, couldn't for the life of me get a clean cut. I was using smooth white heavyweight paper or lightweight card, can't remember the weight, something like 185gsm, it normally die-cuts perfectly with thin dies. Oh and then when I got it cut almost all the way through, I couldn't get the pieces out of the die! The release holes on the back are tiny and I don't have anything thin enough to poke through them. I think it would need a fine needle. Nothing I normally use (e.g. an unwound small paperclip) would fit.

After multiple attempts mine has gone in the bin. It's not even all that nice anyway. So, anyone who was going to buy the magazine just for the free die: don't bother. It may be just me, but I didn't find the magazine particularly inspirational this month either. Very disappointed.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped buying magazines ages ago. The penny dropped that they are a waste of money and I could find much more inspiration online. However, the penny only dropped after I had spent a small fortune on them:giggle:
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very sensible, Sam! I do like to have a magazine to flick through when I'm not online, though. At least when you get to the end of the magazine you have to stop, whereas online one thing leads to another to another, and before I know it, hours have passed.

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely buy any magazine, I don't know how they justify the charge of a fiver for an hour or so's read. Most of the "gifts" can be bought cheaper anyway. The stamps in SC&P from Indigo a couple of months back were good tho. And just on the assumption you didn't get a "free" die with the TL mag, who would pay £12.99 just for a monthly mag - not many!! I'd rather spend my money on a proper book, I admit I'm the grouchiest of peeps if I've nothing to read (a proper read!)

Post Thanks / Like

Tattered Lace mags are much cheaper from other places!! Can I recommend diamond card craft? £11.70 NO P & P

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice Mitzi, I will give this magazine a swerve.

Post Thanks / Like

With Tattered Lace the die is obviously NOT 'free', or the mag would be a normalish £4.99. x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenpeper/

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Occasionally buy a craft stamper mag, cos I do use the free rubber stamps. Rarely one I wouldn't use.
    BEST ever freebee though has to b the indigo blu stamps in sc&p (as Jacksmissis said)...have been using constantly......
    so if yr "looking in".....just want to say...THANK U Indigo Blu :mysmilie_851::mysmilie_851:

Post Thanks / Like

I scan the magazines and buy what I think is worth it, not every month though, just when I have a little spare cash!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Glynisrose. I used to buy lots, but hardly any now unless I really want the "free" gift. And most of those don't tempt me. But I have bought the Tattered Lace ones when I've liked the dies.