Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pergamano Scissors V Pergamano Cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pergamano Scissors V Pergamano Cutter

Mornin peeps

I know tools are a personal choice (feel/weight etc) but wondered what the general feeling is between the scissors and the cutter please? (the cutter being the tweezer style) Apart from the price (scissors being about a third of the price of cutter) are there any other pro's and con's? All opinions appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the earliest snips there was and haven't parched for quite a few years so there may well be a larger/smaller difference now. Personally I found there was less twisting of the wrist needed with the snips and I had a more uniform result. The snips definitely weren't necessary but I'd get them if you do lots of cutwork in your parching.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should say that PWP, on one advert for the snips it did say less strain on wrists/hands - thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I had both but I found that the snips were difficult for me to get used to and do the twisty bit. I much prefered the scissor type and eventually I sold the snips.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carolina, that's what I want them for, the twisty snippy bit! that's why I asked for opinions to help me make my decision!! I must say Tina Cox always seems to use the little scissors and Rosella (?) uses the snips that why I put the query on here, thought I'd get good advice because neither of them are cheap are they.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two pairs of snips and a pair of scissors, actually I have two pairs of the scissors as I was given a pair, but whose counting!

Right chuck, one pair of snips is a bit clunky, bought from Christine Coleman as she said they were the best thing ever. They were cheap, about £6, and are ok for using with the bold grid, but way too big for the fine grids. The other pair are Pergamano snips, paid about £20 for them seven or eight years ago. Don't really like them as every now and again they seem to stick in the middle, so have to be prised apart again.

I prefer the scissors myself as I use the first and second fingers, unlike Tina who uses first finger and thumb, which means I can use either hand. According to Pauline Loweth one should use the finger and thumb if left handed, first two fingers if right handed. Ha, trust me to be different! :)

Roz
    Last edited by RozMinis; 10-01-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Can't spell!
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Roz, that's it you see isn't it - it comes down to what suits "you" I suppose. I must say I favour the scissors but my hands and wrists don't always behave so the snips would be handy. Oh lummy, decisions, decisions!!

I used to like watching Pauline Loweth, haven't seen her on C&C for yonks now - has she retired do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

If money allows buy both.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up buying the scissors a few weeks ago but I havent used them yet! Thanks for the advice JSC I'll see how I get on when I get going and then save up for the snips.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget we all want to see what you come up with chuck. :)

I keep buying the parchment magazine, actually Dot and Christine keep selling it to me, but I haven't done much parching recently, not since before Christmas. While Dot was away Christine found some iris folding stuff in the cheap box, so managed to sell me those. Mind you it was 'all' she sold me that week! ;)

I really ought to do more parching, either using the magazines, or even the grids.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog