Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great British Sewing Bee - yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I must have strange windows as I have never had to alter curtains. Just wish I had bought longer ones for the bedroom. I bought the same length as the previous ones, but 'himself' put the new curtain pole a bit higher up. Drat the man, why didn't he tell me he was going to do that? There is now a gap at the bottom, so warm air from the radiator now vanishes up the other side of the things, so it is warmer outside than in. :( I like nice long curtains that I can tuck behind the radiator to keep the heat in.

I have made curtains from scratch in the dim and distant past, stitched them all by hand in the days before I had a sewing machine. Three room windows, two bedroom windows, plus the kitchen and bathroom. Blessings on my dad for buying me the hand sewing machine. It may have been missing a screw, like me who is now missing several(!) but it took the drudgery out of straight sewing. The funny thing is that when moving house some 12 and a half years or so ago I hand stitched the edging on the nets. Could have done it on the machine, but I was a bit stressed out at the time, hand stitching all those nets, and there were lots, helped calm be down.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the catch-up programme and it was lovely to see how the semis-finalists have turned their skills into something good for the next generations. I'm never going to be up to their skills but I love watching sewers who can see and produced wonderful stuff.

BTW, Mandy Shaw is doing a Block of The Month on her site which looks interesting.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I made all my own curtains when we got married too - with my Gran's hand sewing machine. I used the Laura Ashley Book of Home Decorating for instruction. I wouldn't dream of making my own curtains now - I'm older and wiser!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On the cooking/baking points I am a happier baking than cooking. The difference being that bakers weigh everything and basically use a formula but cooks (hopefully knowing the basic principles) do more of their own thing.

I'm another Mandy Shaw fan and have bought quite a bit of her stuff although I now, generally, buy very little from C & C. Usually I am happy to buy a kit the first time round and then adapt and use my own fabrics - a bit like the baking!

I'm also a great Sewing Bee fan and loved he re-visited programme. The icing on the cake was the charity Heather (the winner) had set up to teach children sewing. Brilliant!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Think this links to my Pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/chucklemouse/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Penny View Post
    The icing on the cake was the charity Heather (the winner) had set up to teach children sewing. Brilliant!
    I thought exactly the same thing. There were so many things she could have done but decided to give back instead.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

That was really nice of her, and hopefully the lessons the children learn will last them a lifetime.

I learned to sew using my grandma's treadle machine, I had wanted the toy one my slighter older aunt had, but couldn't have one. No matter, I made up for it a couple of years later, just as soon as I could reach the treadle in fact. I was a bit miffed at one school I went to, we spent an entire school year making a dirndl skirt that didn't fit. What really got up my nose though was that we had to show our teacher the tacking before we were allowed on the machine, one machine between twenty girls. If it wasn't perfect we had to pull it out and start again.

We also had to prove to her that we could handle a hand machine............ me who had been sewing on a treadle for four years, she had to be joking. I knew more about sewing than she did, including cutting out the pattern and fitting the thing properly.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog