Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colouring

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colouring

Read an article in the Guardian about Colouring Books for adults topping the the Amazon bestseller list.It is supposed to be good for stress. Johanna Basford ( Scottish) has two books , 'The Secret Garden' and ' The Enchanted Forest' which are mentioned as are Millie Marotta and Richard Merritt. Have any of you tried these books and if so which pens would you recommend?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've got both and both are fabulous. I use Prismacolor pencils, very soft and waxy, so any similar brand would do, also you can use gel pens, staedtler triplus fineliners, Marvy le plume, tombo or Whispers felt pens (probably cheap felt pens aimed at the childrens market would suit), just a case of doing a sample test on the paper to ensure that whatever you use does not bleed through. My copy of the Secret Garden is an early edition, and the type of paper they used for printing will only really take pencil, however I've read that since the books have sold out worldwide and are being reprinted the are printing on the same paper as is used for Enchanted Forest which will take inks. You cannot use alcohol based pens on the paper, or watercolour (although dry Inktense pencils are fine), but if you really wanted to you could photocopy the image onto something suitable. Check out Johanna's facebook page or her blog for more ideas and discussions about what mediums people are using and join the millions of us who are loosing ourselves in these beautiful books.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, just read your post again, I've only got Johanna's books, I've not tried the other two authors, but I've had a look at them and their artwork did not appeal as much to me.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Secret Garden is sold in Waterstones. There are some nice images that you can buy to download off Etsy. You can then print them off onto any sort of card/paper to suit your chosen colouring method. If you type in printable colouring pages or adult colouring pages there are quite a few to chose from.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at Waterstones online Sam and The Secret Garden is showing as "May be available in some of our shops", supplies are scarce at the moment everywhere, even amazon uk is quoting 2 to 3 weeks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizcake View Post
    Just looked at Waterstones online Sam and The Secret Garden is showing as "May be available in some of our shops", supplies are scarce at the moment everywhere, even amazon uk is quoting 2 to 3 weeks!
    Crikey, I've looked at it loads of times in my local Waterstones, just shows what recommendation can do for sales. I've always been put off by the paper that it's printed on, so it's interesting to hear that reprints are being done on another paper type.
    Last edited by sam; 06-04-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

The Works had some nice colouring books in last year. I bought one of them, can't remember what it was though, probably way down at the bottom of the bookcase for me to hunt out at the moment. Perhaps when my two new embroidery books come I will have a sort out (another!) and see if I can find it. I think it was probably flowers.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

May I come in and say that the Works have quite a few of these books in again this month, I'm thinking of getting one of them, I have tried watercolour pencils on the book I have but when it dries it leaves the paper crinkled, shame really because some of the pictures are really good
    roo

Post Thanks / Like

Just read some more about this in today's Mail so I went on to Johanna's blog to see what pencils she recommends and have ordered some and her 'Secret Garden'. Looking forward to de- stressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roothy View Post
    May I come in and say that the Works have quite a few of these books in again this month, I'm thinking of getting one of them, I have tried watercolour pencils on the book I have but when it dries it leaves the paper crinkled, shame really because some of the pictures are really good
    roo
    I noticed the books too when I made my weekly visit last Friday. I don't know the authors though.