Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Edward's Menagerie Creations

Post Thanks / Like

Princess4Wiz, they are fabulous. I saw the book on Amazon and the feedback was very good. I know they have the kit going cheaper on C&C at the moment but the wool is v expensive.

I am a bit fussy with myself at the moment as I have finally cracked this crochet lark (after $%^& years), I went to a local workshop where I was the worst student probably, week 2 was spent trying to crochet without ending up with two stitches on the hook!!! I ended up doing my own thing as I was so slow. My problem was, as a leftie, I knit right-handedly but with crochet my brain and hands got totally confused and it all got difficult. However, the lovely long-suffering teacher had some left-handed instructions which helped and I got there in the end although I ended up chaining the pin cushion inside out. I am currently crochet pet blankets from the free yarn in unfortunate colours from knitting mags but the moggies won't mind. Not allowed myself to progress until my tension gets better.

I am a bit addicted to the hooky stuff now but certainly not up to CAL or Amigarumi levels yet awhile. :glass:

All I can say is that if I can finally crack the hooky stuff, anyone can. :bandit:

(Have a look on Attic 24's website, she does fab photo tutorials and I'm just waiting for her closed granny square tutorial as that's my next ambitious step...)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Muffintop View Post
    Princess4Wiz, they are fabulous. I saw the book on Amazon and the feedback was very good. I know they have the kit going cheaper on C&C at the moment but the wool is v expensive.

I am a bit fussy with myself at the moment as I have finally cracked this crochet lark (after $%^& years), I went to a local workshop where I was the worst student probably, week 2 was spent trying to crochet without ending up with two stitches on the hook!!! I ended up doing my own thing as I was so slow. My problem was, as a leftie, I knit right-handedly but with crochet my brain and hands got totally confused and it all got difficult. However, the lovely long-suffering teacher had some left-handed instructions which helped and I got there in the end although I ended up chaining the pin cushion inside out. I am currently crochet pet blankets from the free yarn in unfortunate colours from knitting mags but the moggies won't mind. Not allowed myself to progress until my tension gets better.

I am a bit addicted to the hooky stuff now but certainly not up to CAL or Amigarumi levels yet awhile. :glass:

All I can say is that if I can finally crack the hooky stuff, anyone can. :bandit:

(Have a look on Attic 24's website, she does fab photo tutorials and I'm just waiting for her closed granny square tutorial as that's my next ambitious step...)
    Well done you for finally cracking the crochet thing! The animals are really easy to do. The only stitch you need to know is double crochet. Granny squares are beyond me. They end up anything but square! I love Attic 24, her blankets are to die for but I've not attempted anything like that yet.

My crafty blog

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of Lucy from Attic 24 too - I've made 3 of her ripple blankets, 1 granny stripe and 1 cosy blanket. Lucy was at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Ally Pally last year and I got the chance to chat to her - she is a lovely lady.

Muffintop, if you can't wait for Lucy's solid square. one of Lucy's friends, Heather (I think they both live in Skipton) also has a blog and she has a good pattern. Lots of photos and of course if you are a leftie, you can flip the photos so they are the right way for you. Link below:

http://www.littletinbird.co.uk/free-...elmer-squares/
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spendsloads View Post
    That case is lovely RozMinis. Tatting isn't something I have ever had a go at - it looks like it might be quite difficult to unpick if you went wrong. It was always one of the those crafts covered briefly in old craft compendium books accompanied by a few black and white photos, but it looks like it's undergoing something of a revival at the moment.

I was in Tokyo last week and did a spot of craft shopping. If I get round to taking a few photos at the weekend, I might show off my haul in another post. Interestingly, there was quite a lot of tatting equipment and materials on sale in the craft shops over there.
    It is the devil of a job to unpick shuttle tatting, but needle tatting is much easier. It also depends on the thickness of the thread. Most tatting is done using DMC or Anchor 80, though these days they are more difficult to find, Venus do a nice range of threads, good quality too.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit fussy with myself at the moment as I have finally cracked this crochet lark (after $%^& years), I went to a local workshop where I was the worst student probably, week 2 was spent trying to crochet without ending up with two stitches on the hook!!! I ended up doing my own thing as I was so slow. My problem was, as a leftie, I knit right-handedly but with crochet my brain and hands got totally confused and it all got difficult.
    One of the best ways for a leftie to learn from a right hander is to use a mirror. Watch what the teacher does in the mirror instead of watching her hands. :)

The fluffy people won't mind what colours you use, just so long as they are snug and warm. :)

I found a cat magazine in my local market a couple of months or so ago that had a freebie knitting pattern in it. The shapes were rectangles, with some having paw prints in garter stitch on them. The paw prints were in three different sizes. :)

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RozMinis View Post
    One of the best ways for a leftie to learn from a right hander is to use a mirror. Watch what the teacher does in the mirror instead of watching her hands. :)

The fluffy people won't mind what colours you use, just so long as they are snug and warm. :)

I found a cat magazine in my local market a couple of months or so ago that had a freebie knitting pattern in it. The shapes were rectangles, with some having paw prints in garter stitch on them. The paw prints were in three different sizes. :)

Roz
    Rats!, wish I'd have seen that. Tend not to bother with cat mags but will now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Princess4Wiz View Post
    Well done you for finally cracking the crochet thing! The animals are really easy to do. The only stitch you need to know is double crochet. Granny squares are beyond me. They end up anything but square! I love Attic 24, her blankets are to die for but I've not attempted anything like that yet.
    The joke of the workshop was that I never got squares on my pin cushion square. I actually nearly gave up on the workshop as I was hopeless compared to the others, especially the two lads. However, I persevered and still get a little lost, I think the secret to granny squares corners is stitch markers - I saw this in a crochet book. I have to remember it's a treble - 2 chains - treble but there are lots of variations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spendsloads View Post
    I'm a big fan of Lucy from Attic 24 too - I've made 3 of her ripple blankets, 1 granny stripe and 1 cosy blanket. Lucy was at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Ally Pally last year and I got the chance to chat to her - she is a lovely lady.

Muffintop, if you can't wait for Lucy's solid square. one of Lucy's friends, Heather (I think they both live in Skipton) also has a blog and she has a good pattern. Lots of photos and of course if you are a leftie, you can flip the photos so they are the right way for you. Link below:

http://www.littletinbird.co.uk/free-...elmer-squares/

Little Tin Bird was the one I followed to get my corners right, she explains things really well. I think we are really lucky when people who can do stuff like this are gracious enough to put it on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Rats!, wish I'd have seen that. Tend not to bother with cat mags but will now.

I had better fess up, neither do I, but I had been told about the mag by Christine at the needle and natter group. Soooo as I was sort of drifting by the stall, still haven't got the hang of being in town on the Tuesday second hand market day, I thought I would look. A couple of weeks ago I invested in a couple of patchwork mags, one of them had the clips that can be used instead of pins. Both mags less than half the price they should be.

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

It's flipping official - I can't crochet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:mysmilie_455::mysmilie_ 455::headbang::headbang::headbang: