Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silhouette designer edition.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Victoria, I am thinking of going back to a desk top - I dislike lappy with a passion and I wouldn't have known to do that. I have a licence key number somewhere (safe LOL !) so I guess that may be for it? Sure they'll sort me out if I do change - I think their CS and of course Graphtec have very good customer relations.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When my laptop had an 'incident' Silhouette America were very helpful providing the key but in the back of my mind I have a feeling you can only re-install a certain number of times.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jube View Post
    I an thinking of upgrading to the silhouette designer edition my questions are. Is it safe to buy from the US? Can anyone tell me a good site to buy it from? And most importantly is it worth it? I love my machine but would have loved to have basic shapes like the other cutters.
    Jube if it's basic shapes you want the basic Studio is quite capable of making them as long you know how. I personnally think calling it the 'designer edition' is stretching it a bit. It gives extra's like the rules top & right side along with opening svg files, the crosshair lines which help position shapes which I do like and use a lot. But the rest is extra's like the nesting, shearing, sketching, and rhinstones. What you need to make your own basic designs is to look on line for tutorials and ukscrappers is a good place to look along with Youtube

Some like me like the crosshairs and other's hate it. I found with the latest upgrade I have to turn it on in 'view' each time I load up Studio. I use to be able to set it as a default.

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought to look at ukscrappers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jube View Post
    I an thinking of upgrading to the silhouette designer edition my questions are. Is it safe to buy from the US? Can anyone tell me a good site to buy it from? And most importantly is it worth it? I love my machine but would have loved to have basic shapes like the other cutters.
    I bought Designer Edition with the Cameo. I can import svgs and my own artwork. It's great for designing. If you need help the Silhouette technical team are brilliant. If you are upgrading from Studio to Designer Edition choose the upgrade option as opposed to full as there is quite a price difference.

Stitch

Post Thanks / Like

jube, on UKS, you'll find the info under the Craft Robo forums, its evolved from the robo to all of the Silhouette machines and the peeps on there are very nice and helpful. Like on here, there always seems to be someone who knows their way around your question!

Post Thanks / Like

I just typed into Google something like 'installing my Silhouette Cameo Designer Edition on new desktop computer' and it took me to the relevant section on the Silhouette website. I think you can re-install it 3 times. I had kept the original card with the keycode, but even if you can't find it, you can contact them and they'll sort it out for you. As I said, firstly I had to install the Basic Studio, the first two times it wouldn't 'run' after finishing the download. My fault entirely because when I had a closer look, I was downloading the MAC version which is the automatic one. The drop-down menu has the PC version. It was then very straightforward, just clicking on the Designer Edition and then opening it, going to My Account and clicking the option to retrieve the cutting files which I had purchased. Then the first time I used it on the new desktop, it prompted me to retrieve the 50 or so free cutting files which you get when buying the Cameo. The only nuisance was having to create new files in my Library to store the cutting files - that took about an hour as I have about 500 files.

Luckily, I had all my creations on a USB as I was beginning to sense a few months ago that my old desktop was on the way out. So I've been able to load them onto my new desktop. By creations, I don't mean designs, because to be honest, I haven't designed anything apart from a few shapes. But I tend to save what I cut for a card so that I've got the correct proportions for any other similar cards.

One other thing that I've found useful, but I'm sure you all know this anyway. The first year or so, I found it very fiddly if I needed loads of different coloured components for my cards. Lately, I've been cutting whole designs in white card, then colouring the bits with Promarkers or Distress Inks. You'll see what I mean when my September Swap card arrives next week!! It's a real time saver.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it last night from sgv cuts but can't have a play till middle of next week. The next thing I need to do is to save all my images on my external hard drive.