Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag for life - sewing your own - material advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bag for life - sewing your own - material advice

I fancy having a go at making my own bags for life to keep in the car for the supermarket shop (bit fed up with the shop bought ones) . Has anyone got any advice on the best material to use (heavy weight cotton?) and where is a good place to order from?

I'm also looking to find that really super lightweight material that is used for those little bags that fold up really small - to keep in your pocket or handbag. Has anyone seen this type of material anywhere - I guess its some kind of polyester???

TIA
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I made a shopping bag from a lightweight fabric shower curtain and I also make shopping bags from cheap waterproof tablecloth fabric that I get from my local market
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cassie2830 View Post
    I made a shopping bag from a lightweight fabric shower curtain and I also make shopping bags from cheap waterproof tablecloth fabric that I get from my local market
    Thanks Cassie that's a great idea to use shower curtain material - it's exactly the sort of material I was thinking of for the foldaway bags - I would never have come up with that idea. I will definitely have a go.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I made myself a quick and easy shopping bag to take to Harrogate last year. I used 16 squares of Christmas patchwork fabric, plus a couple of lengths for the handles. I decided I wanted it to be reversible, hence the 16 squares instead of of 8. I inadvertently made the straps a tad too long, but as it happened it wasn't such a bad idea as it meant that instead of carrying the thing, I could drag it around the floor. Well I thought it was a good idea. :)

I like those bags that are thicker than the plastic 'bag for life', Wilko's use to have loads of 'em, in two different sizes. When I wanted one a few months ago they said they were waiting for new stock. I've checked each and every week since then, only found one, and that had obviously been lurking under the counter. Needless to say I nabbed it PDQ. I think the small one, which was the one I wanted, was about 49 pence, the larger one 89 pence. Seeing as we have to pay for plastic bags these days, though there are exceptions I gather, I reckon they ought to flog decent ones that really do last.

No idea hwre one would get the polyester to make fold up bags. Maybe try Amazon or eBay. The chances are that if neither of those have anything suitable, especially eBay, then nobody will.

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Essex to the left, London to the right and Kent straight ahead!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Summer,
    I know you were asking about material to use but I thought I'd let you know that Hobbycrafts do plain cotton type shopping bags and Jute ones that you can decorate/ embellish however you want. Also Baker Ross and Pinflair do them too.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a few from Ikea - only 40 pence each. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90161946/
    I know they don't look exciting but they do the job :)

Post Thanks / Like

If you want plain cotton bags, then calico is your durable fabric, but basically any cotton would do, you could use shirts, sheets etc.

Post Thanks / Like

What about an old Kagoule (for the fold up tiny one)?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone and material suggestions

I just fancied getting the sewing machine out for a couple of little projects - I've made all my Christmas cards & next few months Birthday cards (except for the inserts) so am a bit fed up with cards now.

I just came across some bag tutorials when I was browsing, and found someone who had made a bag for life type - the big ones with rectangle flat bottoms. I have loads of blue tesco ones and they get on my nerves as they slide all over the place in the cupboard where I keep them.

I'm pretty good about remembering these for the grocery shop - but it will be when I'm out and about doing other bits and bobs shopping especially with Christmas shopping - I need to have a couple of the small lightweight foldaway bags to keep in my hand bag or coat pocket.

PS I like your long handle drag bag idea Roz. Kagoule material would be the right sort of material too JM - Packa Macs!

Thanks again all

Post Thanks / Like

I use calico to make my shopper bags. I used to buy it from Dunelm Mill locally but they don't stock the right weight now. Have had to resort to John Lewis recently. I make a pouch to keep them in and attach a swivel clasp that makes it easy to keep the bag and pouch together. I have used polyester lining material to make a bag too. This folds into a much smaller pouch. I also made a little envelope pouch that the supermarket bags for life fit into. Here are pics of my calico bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post