Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag for life - sewing your own - material advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone and material suggestions

I just fancied getting the sewing machine out for a couple of little projects - I've made all my Christmas cards & next few months Birthday cards (except for the inserts) so am a bit fed up with cards now.

I just came across some bag tutorials when I was browsing, and found someone who had made a bag for life type - the big ones with rectangle flat bottoms. I have loads of blue tesco ones and they get on my nerves as they slide all over the place in the cupboard where I keep them.

I'm pretty good about remembering these for the grocery shop - but it will be when I'm out and about doing other bits and bobs shopping especially with Christmas shopping - I need to have a couple of the small lightweight foldaway bags to keep in my hand bag or coat pocket.

PS I like your long handle drag bag idea Roz. Kagoule material would be the right sort of material too JM - Packa Macs!

Thanks again all
    Could you point me in the right direction for the bag tutorial that was like the bag for life style - please?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jilly for a shopping tote all you need is a couple of large squares/triangles or a long length that won't need sewing on a bottom seam which is folded over. Sew the two or three sides then grab the corner and flatten it out so either the seams meet or the bottom fold and a seam meets, sew across and then you have the squared off bottom, sorry, rubbish at explaining.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Essex to the left, London to the right and Kent straight ahead!
    Post Thanks / Like

Have just been into local Lidl. This weeks offers include sewing items if anyone is interested. I picked up one of several sewing books called Trendy Bags. It covers everything from pencil cases right up to large shopper bags. It includes a pattern sheet inside the back cover. £2.99.

Apparently Aldi have also got offers including yarn and sewing accessories but have not seen those ones yet.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EssexAnne View Post
    Have just been into local Lidl. This weeks offers include sewing items if anyone is interested. I picked up one of several sewing books called Trendy Bags. It covers everything from pencil cases right up to large shopper bags. It includes a pattern sheet inside the back cover. £2.99.

Apparently Aldi have also got offers including yarn and sewing accessories but have not seen those ones yet.
    They have a singer sewing machine and overlocker. My closest Lidl has the offer starting today.
    I was tempted to get the overlocker, but have decided to sit on my hands.
    may go and have a look in a few days to have a look at the books - hopefully the machines will have gone, so there will be no temptation....

Post Thanks / Like

Holliecraft your calico bags are great - the scottie dog one is really cute, thanks for posting photos.

Thanks for the links to the bag tutorials JantheNan - especially the foldaway bag.

Jilly, this is the one I came across for the larger grocery bag – the bottom is similar to JantheNan’s instructions – but it has 2 side pieces instead of one length of material folded.

- just came back to edit this as not sure if this link works - but if you google chiilydog reversible shopping bag tutorial you should find it.

http://www.thechillydog.com/2014/03/reversible-shopping-bags.html

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    PS I like your long handle drag bag idea Roz.

Thanks again all
    But sweetie it wasn't meant to be a drag bag, honest it wasn't. Wouldn't be a great idea to have dragged it up the hill to the train station in Harrogate either. Though the way Christine and I were feeling (as in dog tired) it was all I could do not to drag the thing. Honestly we were both as high as kites, though nothing more than cola, tea and hot chocolate had been drunk, honest. There will be three of us this time, but at least we won't have to bother with the train. :)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It didnt work for me Summer but I did it manually then copied and pasted and it looks just the same as yours - strange!! Nice site though, thank you!

http://www.thechillydog.com/2014/03/...ping-bags.html

Holliecraft your bags are really lovely, think they will have inspired alot of us to make some! Thank you for sharing!

Roz love, its an awful long way to be thumbing a lift - 'specially at our ages, not a good look chuck LOL !!

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

We managed to miss one train, luckily the next was only ten minutes later, and it was from the platform we were standing on. :) That'll teach us to get tipsy on a toasted sarnie and a cup of tea!

Ms Mouse is not only taking us this year, but also bringing us back home. Of course it still means we will probably be the last out at seven o'clock. :) She isn't really a mouse, Michelle is her proper name.

Just about to put piccies of my snowballs in the knitting section.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog