Thread: Article in the Sunday Times

Post Thanks / Like

Default Article in the Sunday Times

Thought you sewers would be interested in this article.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1651939.ece
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw bless, nice to know us oldies are now 'on trend' so to speak. Mind you I am not sure about a sewing machine that cost less than £80. According to a lady at Harrogate, a machine that costs less than £900 is pretty useless. Not that I would agree, and to be honest I would have been very happy with that machine I bought from Argos for less than £60 had it not developed a problem within a couple of days. Poor wee thing, it screamed like a banshee. Probably its fan belt was too tight or something, but as it was less than a week old, best not to meddle. So I returned it and bought that bliddy Toyota instead. Knew I should have gone for the Brother, at least it did have an automatic needle threader, and it was also cheaper.

Of course I am very happy with Suzy now that she and I appear to have come to some agreement over the needle threader. I think she was cross 'cos I broke one of her needles, but she does apprea to have forgiven me. :)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I was cross stitching and sewing when I was in my early 20s and it was trendy then as well - all those Marshall Cavendish part works which were heavily TV advertised. I've still got them and use them for reference. As they say - what goes around comes around. :)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't sew at the moment but the place I am going to for crochet lessons has sewing lessons too so I am toying with the beginner JL machine- at school I was frightened of the sewing machines and did not achieve highly! I enjoyed the embroidery classes we did.

Post Thanks / Like

I was so bad at school with a sewing machine. My DH bought me a sewing machine when we first got married, 32years ago. it's singer and still going strong. I must admit I'm not too good with it but it's saved me pounds in mending coats and making curtains.

Post Thanks / Like

We were taught to sew at primary school, just the basics, and then went on to dress making etc., at secondary school. I have recently started to sew again and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet School Fan View Post
    I was cross stitching and sewing when I was in my early 20s and it was trendy then as well - all those Marshall Cavendish part works which were heavily TV advertised. I've still got them and use them for reference. As they say - what goes around comes around. :)

I've still got the Golden Hands set.

I've always loved sewing, my first sewing machine was an old treadle machine which I loved. I think I was about 12 when my Mum and Dad bought it for me, then moved on to one of those cheap electric machines that were advertised in the papers. My first more expensive one was a Singer that did a form of overlocking (that was about as good as you could get in those days). I've got in my mind that it cost fifty pounds (sorry can't do pound signs for some reason) but that sounds rather expensive for 1966.
    Can't remember when I last did any machine sewing, my poor sewing machines are stuck in the craftroom and haven't seen the light of day for a few years. I've also got knitting machines that haven't been out for years. Wonder if they would work now lol.
    Bet everything is really outdated now!!!!!
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article from what I could read of it, didn't want to subscribe to their membership. I had a Frister and Rossman machine for many years, then changed it down to a smaller machine, one of the Cubs. Due to one thing and another, I stopped using the machine and passed it across to my daughter, bad idea as it is still as good today as it was and she uses it from time to time. I did several years ago purchase a Toyota embroidery machine, and eventually stopped using that, we have now been able to find a good home for it. My late mother had a Husqvarna machine that she had back in the late 50's and eventually passed that across to one of my nieces and that was in the late 80's when she had her first stroke. I thought I would get hold of a lightweight machine and purchased one from Hobby Craft, only that went belly up on the first use, so took it back and exchanged for a slightly dearer one. But found it wasn't strong enough for some of the work that I had decided to do, namely quilting. So the previous Christmas hubby bought me a Husqvarna machine it is reasonably lightweight, but also is automatic, so there is no need to use the foot pedal. Bit lazy there but have to say I do find it rather good. Haven't used it all that much as things went a bit wrong for me last year, but hopefully I can get the machine out and start to use again.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I had quite a few of those magazines too, had to part with them after a move, then my miniaturist and cross stitching magazines also had to go, though I did remove the bits I wanted to keep, especially my own projects for which I was paid, even if it wasn't exactly handsomely!

My first bash with a sewing machine was my grandma's treadle. As soon as I could reach the treadle I was stitching everything in sight. I remember being most offended when we had to prove to our teacher at school we knew how to sew a straight line and go round in a circle on a sheet of paper.

My dad bought me a hand sewing machine as my mother part exchanged the treadle for an electric job, silly woman. I passed that on to a good home when I bought the New Home which cost me £42 after deducting my commission, exactly the same price as the cooker. Sadly it and I had to part company when it became too heavy for me to handle, so I passed it on to Kate and bought myself a Brother. After the accident I didn't think I would be able to use it again, so when Kate said the New Home was also too heavy for her, it was solid wood and metal after all, I gave her the Brother.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog