Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Order of Service for Mum's funeral

Post Thanks / Like

Default Order of Service for Mum's funeral

IMAG0693.jpg This is the front cover of the Order of Service I created for Mum's funeral. I did the calligraphy A4 then it was shrunk down to A5 for printing (it looks better done that way). It used to take me a day to do a piece like this, back when I didn't wear glasses, but it took me two days because I had to wear one pair of glasses to do the really close details and then another to look at the page as a whole. Plus I had Maisy "helping" me the whole time :)

The inking around the edge is leaf green and bluebell blue to match Mum's coffin, which was by a company called Colourful Coffins. They make eco-coffins from recycled paper and eco-inks and carbon offset any coffin that goes to cremation. Mum had said that she either wanted to be buried with Dad or out in a big field. As she was to be buried with Dad we thought an eco-coffin would fulfil the open field part of her wishes. She loved bluebell woods so when my brother and I saw a photo of a bluebell wood coffin we knew it was the right one.

Mum was buried in a suit and blouse that I had made her many years ago, wearing the ring that I made her for Christmas and gave to her after her stroke in hospital, and holding some paper flowers that I had made for her when she first went into hospital and she loved them.

The funeral went really well and was very well attended, so much so that I hadn't made enough copies of the Order of Service and people had to share. It might not have been quite so bad had I not left some of them at home on a desk, where they were waiting to have their covers re-stuck where the glue hadn't worked! Oh dear! I was quite pleased when the undertaker said they don't usually keep the Order of Service from funerals they attend, but asked whether he could keep it in this case.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

How lovely is that PurplePenny. The style is so appropriate for someone born over 100 years ago. Very reminiscent of early 20th Century.

It's very touching how you put so much thought into all the arrangements.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Essex to the left, London to the right and Kent straight ahead!
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot think of any words that could adequately express how lovely your work is.All I can say is Thank You for sharing it with us here.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work and how special to be able to make that final tribute. It sounds like the funeral covered everything she would have wanted, I hope the pain of loss eases for you and you are able to enjoy all those special memories x

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

That is so lovely. Can't say anymore as there are tears in my eyes.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

ooh PP, thats so beautiful, thank you so much for sharing what is a very personal time for you all. You should be very proud of yourself - you've done her proud chuck.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh PurplePenny - the whole thing sounds amazing. You certainly put a lot of thought into the details, everything was based on things personal to your mam. I hope putting this much effort into the funeral arrangements has helped you with your grief and that you know you couldn't have done anything better. I hope the pain of your lose isn't too great and that you'll be able to remember all the good times you had with her - hugs.

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

PurplePenny you have put so much heart into this funeral for a much loved mum. I am sure she would be very proud of you and hope the good times you shared together will help with the pain of losing her.

Post Thanks / Like

PurplePenny, that is beautiful. I think it is wonderful that you were able to make something so personal as a tribute to your mum at such a difficult time. I think the extra time spent making the personalised cover befits the person you were making it for. It was special, for a special person.

xx

Post Thanks / Like

Such a special way of remembering your mother and so beautiful!