Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Work

Post Thanks / Like

Default White Work

Got my Groovi starter kit the other day. Finding parchment work very hard to put down but already want to try different things.

Can you do white work on for example gold parchment paper or is it used for other purposes.

Also as a newbie to all this what pricking tools would you suggest.

Many thanks

Essex to the left, London to the right and Kent straight ahead!
    Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for my starter kit!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha!Ha! I started mine yesterday peeps! I've been gathering parching stuff for a couple of years now and not done a thing - kept putting it off using various excuses. I have dithered over Barbara's Groovi kit thinking it would be cheating to be honest, and then the other week I heard Barbara herself say many people who were already parchers were using it and also "newbies" were getting their confidence starting off with this method. Thats what sold it to me girls, I realised I was frightened of trying and making a flipping mess of it all! Anyway, I ordered the starter kit and a couple of plates and yesterday afternoon got stuck in with one of the plates. It took me over an hour to do the one floral plate and I'm happy with the results (and no disasters !) and my shoulders and neck really ached because I was so tense - how daft!! I have a pile of ironing to do today and then I am going to chill by filling in the white-work areas. In answer to your question Julie, I think it can be done on any colour parchment but will stand out more on some colours than others. Lets know how you both get on.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried gold parchment paper, but only because I haven't found any. I have loads of coloured though, cleared Dot out the other week as at 25% off it was mega good value. I have also coloured my own white parchment in the past using Dorso crayons and Perga oil, though lavender oil also works well.

Pricking tools, definitely need a single and twin needle tools. I don't know what Barbara uses for her pricking board thingies, but I have both bold and fine. I also love the four needle tool, which creates a square, they look lovely cut out. A twin needle WIST I also find useful, but probably best to wait a while before buying that, ditto the edging tools that I often use when I want to cut through the parchment and card in one go.

I am into butterflies at the moment, love making those, so useful to pop onto a card to add that little bit extra.

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I might have bought the wrong sort of paper Roz hence you haven't seen any. Bought gold, silver and black, only ordered a few so not a big loss if it's all wrong.

Already have the single and double pricking tools so a four pin one will be my next purchase (saw a five one online last night, almost looked looked like little daisies). Must rein myself in as I saw loads of PCA stuff I really liked !

Parchment butterflies do look beautiful !

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has brought back memories of parchment crafting, I used to love it. Haven't done any paper crafting for months. Thought I'd go and find all my stuff, I had one drawer dedicated to it but there were no tools there. Thought they might be in a jar somewhere but no luck. Thought I'd have to go through all the other drawers and cupboards but had a look in a cardboard box which was on top and there they were in a Pergamano case. I've got more than I thought lol.

There were also couple of Parchment Craft mags from 2003 - crumbs, how time flies.

Next job is to find all the other mags.

Roz, did you think the new mag was worth the money?
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

In a word Waterlily (lovely name by the way) the answer is no. I was ok (just) with the first two, probably because I used my £10 vouchers to buy them. The last one I was not impressed with, especially the so called 'free' grid. To my mind the pricking holes were inconsistent, sort of all over the place. Didn't think the embossing bit was very good either.

Maybe I am being picky, after all I did pay the full club price and postage for it, so it worked out pretty expensive really compared to the parchment craft magazine that is available from WH Smiths, which I now have on subscription. Granted it doesn't include parchment papers or the grid, but I have loads of grids, mostly bought on eBay, or in the early days from Christine Coleman. I will try the next issue, but if I decide the grid isn't up to snuff again I probably won't buy anymore issues.

It does annoy me that they keep saying the grid is free, when quite clearly it isn't. I reckon there is no way anybody is going to pay that much money just for a magazine and a few papers if the grid wasn't part of the deal. Although somebody did email in at least twice to say they thought the magazine was the best parchment magazine on the market. Seeing as there is only one other available here in the UK I thought that was a bit off. As for Rosella saying the grid was worth at least £10, and Martyn blathering on about not being able to use scissors for cutting. Hmm, both of 'em should open their eyes and see what is out there in the big wide world, or even just here in the UK.

Bought myself a Pergamano bag last year, or was it the year before!!! It holds all my assorted Pergamano and PCA tools, plus extra bits such as the blending pencils, Dorso crayons, scissors, snips, pens, pencil, etc. Still room for loads more tools, like everything else, one can never have too many tools and grids. :)

Was the paper classed as vellum Julie? If so it will be too thin. Not that it can't be used for other stuff of course, which is just as well as Dot gave me n Christine stacks of the stuff yesterday while we were helping to clear out the shop. Parchment paper is usually 150 gsm or thicker, I have some mega thick stuff, 300 gsm, bought from Pauline Loweth to make boxes with. Still got it in my box as I haven't got around to the boxes yet. :)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

Still not attempted the shading, just dont seem to have had the time. I agree about the mags Roz, I don't think they're worth it really and both mine have had the flipping grid bent through the post - although I have managed to straighten them out. I have a small travel case that I was going to put on a car boot and it struck me its ideal for all the parchment stuff its about A3 size. I miss Pauline Loweth and Tina Cox as well, its about time they were back.

Post Thanks / Like

I must have been lucky with my mags as all the grids arrived flat, I know others have had the same problems as you. The worst thing I found is that it is a bit of a pain trying to remove the bliddy glue they had used to stick them to the magazine. I complained about that before with the TL dies being stuck to the packets. I even received a reply from somebody at TL to say they were looking into it, which they obviously did. Maybe I ought to do the same with the parchment grids.

I have asked in various places about Pauline. It would appear she passed the reigns over to her daughter, but no idea what has happened since. Her website is still there, but when I clicked on anything it just returned me to the same page. :(

No idea why we no longer have Tina, unless it is because Rosella works for TL, so is mistress of everything. Personally I don't think she is a patch on Pauline, Christine, or Tina. Apparently Christine Coleman was taught to parch by Pauline. In which case it shows what a darn good teacher she is/was. One thing I have learned from Rosella is to use a cut down pricking mat, of which I have loads, when cutting out. I must admit I have found it less of a strain on my hand and wrist. ;)

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen Rosella doing that with bits of mat, couldnt work out why - makes sense now you've said Roz! I have to go into Hull today, dont want to either so wont get to play until much later on.................This week is wizzing past, or is it me?