Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stamps from China

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    It does have a melody, but it's not complete. The treble/bass clefs are missing from the left hand side, as is the time signature. Part of the stave on the right is also missing, so it doesn't flow properly.
    I'll take your word for that.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deefersmum View Post
    I'll take your word for that.....
    Ha! It's up to you, but I have played the piano for 46 years and passed my Grade 8 piano before I left school.
    It's probably double Dutch to most people - in the way that knitting/crochet patterns are double Dutch to me!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! It's up to you, but I have played the piano for 46 years and passed my Grade 8 piano before I left school.
    It's probably double Dutch to most people - in the way that knitting/crochet patterns are double Dutch to me!!
    I've only ever played the recorder - and I got thrown out of that class because for some strange reason it made me giggle and I sounded like a demented bee...................
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I teach recorders in school and it can sound terrible when they're beginners. It does get better though, but some poor dabs never get the hang of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh ladies, you're all very kind going to so much trouble (but it is fascinating!!)

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin can't identify it :( He thinks it looks like Schubert (which the Melodic Contour search turned up a lot too), but it doesn't have a voice part and he can't find a Schubert piece with a long voice-less passage. He thought it was in G major, but having printed it out to play he thinks it is in F major and in 12/8 time.

Fascinating, but frustrating.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePenny View Post
    My cousin can't identify it :( He thinks it looks like Schubert (which the Melodic Contour search turned up a lot too), but it doesn't have a voice part and he can't find a Schubert piece with a long voice-less passage. He thought it was in G major, but having printed it out to play he thinks it is in F major and in 12/8 time.

Fascinating, but frustrating.
    As a recorder failure, I am speechless. Clever or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Having tried to play it on the piano, I think it's in G major but difficult to be sure as the key signature is missing on the L/H side. The last bar on the bottom right looks like it might be in F major but I think they're F# not F naturals. Then again, there's a F# accidental note in bar 4 which wouldn't be there if it was in G major as the key signature would already indicate that it's a F#. Who knows! It's definitely 12/8 compound time though. I also thought it might be the accompaniment for a vocal piece.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Having tried to play it on the piano, I think it's in G major but difficult to be sure as the key signature is missing on the L/H side. The last bar on the bottom right looks like it might be in F major but I think they're F# not F naturals. Then again, there's a F# accidental note in bar 4 which wouldn't be there if it was in G major as the key signature would already indicate that it's a F#. Who knows! It's definitely 12/8 compound time though. I also thought it might be the accompaniment for a vocal piece.

Jeez - which other languages are you familiar with:(
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Music is a language in itself which can appear totally alien if you're not familiar with it but is really straightforward when you've mastered it. That's why you 'read' music like any other language.

As I said, many of you can 'read' knitting and crochet patterns - some really complex ones I'm sure - but they baffle me!!