Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a sewing machine for a beginner?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on a sewing machine for a beginner?

Advice on a sewing machine for a beginner? Hubby wants to know what to buy me for Christmas. He usually spends a couple of hundred pounds on me (yup, totally spolit!).
    I'm thinking of doing a bit of basic dress making, making curtains, possibly a bit of quilting in the future and some soft toy making. Due to my neck problems my fine finger movements can be a bit pants, so an easy to thread machine etc would be handy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my machine 33 years ago and its still going strong. My only advice would be buy the best you can afford and use google to read peoples comment.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Same here Glingle, you can get a nice one for so much. Wouldn't go for an all-singing or dancing one 'cos there a little like posh washing machines that you only use maybe 3 programmes of and then you'd be feeling guilty if you didn't use them all, but I have a 'Brother' and I love it, its a really easy cassette system to thread although they don't do cassette models anymore. If you have health issues DO make a "Self Threader" your top of the list and most machines have a few decorative stitches and can do quilting too. If you have a look on C&C and Hochy they usually have good prices all year round but particularly for Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

I've a friend who works in a shop selling sewing machines, her advice is always to go for one that does a bit more than you want now as otherwise you find yourself having to "upgrade" or being frustrated that you have a machine that limits you very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my brother sewing machine
    for over 20 years it does button holes and 15 fancy stitches
    It had been a work horse over the years and it's still working like new
    It does not self thread which I wish it did have now as I also have trouble with my fingers
    I used to make my own clothes on my mums old singer as being small none of the fashions fitted me
    Now it is cheaper to buy then make them as shops cater for all sizes.
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

I have got the most basic Brother machine, which cost me about £70. TBH I wish I had gone up a level or two for one with a threader and a sturdier foot pedal. But having said that I DO use it because it is light to get out and set up and it is easy to use. If I was to upgrade (unlikely I am happy with my machine) I would get another Brother machine

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is a Husqvarna like Jan's it's quite old, used to use it a lot but haven't used it for years. It does 20 stitches. I too used to make my own clothes but that was in the 60s and 70s. My first machine was an old Singer treadle (think it only did straight stitching), second was a cheapy one that was advertised in the Saturday/Sunday newspapers was OK, the third was a Singer on that did straight stitching and overstitching (Ok again and was top of the range at the time, it cost £50 and that was in 1966).

I would go for the best you can afford but it really depends on whether you think you will use it.

Good luck in choosing the right one.

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

If you can check out a dealer, they may have a second hand one that's been traded in and it will have been fully serviced before you buy it, that way you could get more machine for your money.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Janome or Brother I'd suggest.
    I have auto threader or some of my machines but I always thread manually with my left hand (I'm right handed).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips. I've told hubby not to buy one for a beginner but more of an intermediate level. I suggested he as my mum for advice as she used to do a lot of sewing, she made her own wedding dress and my sisters. She breathed a sigh of relief though when I told her that someone at work had offered to make mine!