Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pom pom blankets

Post Thanks / Like

Default pom pom blankets

I know this isn't knitting but it is using wool
    I have a question, I'm not sure if anyone can help me. I have been asked to make a 'pom pom' blanket for a friend.
    My son has made the frame for me, but I cannot find out how much wool to buy. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance. xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Rosilee, no idea how much you'd need. Are they done on a frame then? I ask because the lady across from my stall a couple of Sundays ago was selling PomPom pram blankets and doing very well too, they were absolutely beautiful but I assumed you'd have to make hundreds and then stitch 'em altogether. Never thought a frame would be involved and I didn't ask her. She had all the colours under the sun but the most popular seemed to be the pastels.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

I did a Pom Pom blanket using wool that had Pom poms interspaced on the wool, can you show a picture?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ladies!

Jacksmissus, the pom pom blanket is made using a frame. The frame itself can be as big or small as you want.
    It is a simple wooden square or rectangle with 2 to 3 inch nails tapped in about an inch and a half apart.
    If you google pom pom blankets there are loads of demos on U tube. But no-one says how much wool you need!
    I think it will be a case of trial and error. My friend buys all her wool from local pound/charity shops so shouldn't be
    overly expensive.

Notmorecraft, I would love to see a picture of your blanket.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

oh my word Rosilee, I'm intrigued so off to have a look! Thanks!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of them before, apart from those made using the pom-pom yarn that is. I had a look on t'Internet, found destructions, but like you say, they don't give what the American's call, yardage.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Well, talk about live and learn peeps!! I would never have thought of doing one of these like they've done in a month of Sundays. I watched vids from a lady called Tracy Grace, and I was fascinated! Anyway, on part 2 she mentioned 4 x 50g balls for the top colour (Pink in this case), the top colour was the actual poms, the base was about a third of the strands but she didn't say how much for those. I can only see one vid from Tracy but if you click on to watch it, the others by her by her pop up on the right-hand side of the screen in a continuation of her tutorial - it only takes about 15mins altogether. Further on another lady (Alison) used 4 x 100g for the top and for the base. Good luck Rosilee!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Jacksmissus! I have to admit I didn't watch the second part of the video. I tend to be a little bit impatient sometimes!
    My friend rang me today to tell me she has bought a large bundle of wool, so over the weekend I will get weaving. When I have finished
    I will put a picture up (if I can work out how to do that, I can knit but I'm not very technology minded!!! xxx

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Rosilee! the vid from Tracy is in 4 or 5 parts but takes very little time to watch as they're only short. each one is the method for each stage if you will. I understand the warp & weft principal as I'm from a weaving background but would never ever have thought of the tying off like that! wonder who came up with the idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JM. That was very interesting and looks like it could be fun to do. I thought that at some point the lady said that she used 100g for the base, and as you said 4 x 50g for the pom poms ie top colour. She used 3 strands x 2 complete rounds for the base, and 4 strands x 3 complete rounds for the pom poms. Difficult to see what size the actual frame was or how far apart the nails were set.
    I spotted another video where it stated that you need to have an odd number of nails on one side and an even number for the other.
    Would love to see the blanket once you have made it Rosilee.
    Thanks for introducing us to something new :)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post