Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Translucent 1cm White Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Translucent 1cm White Mat

Does anyone know if there are any lookey-likey of these mats around please? I've looked on fleabay but I don't really know what to put into the search. I only ask because it seems awful expensive to buy from Groovi but if its a special type of thing then that'll be why and I'll fork out IYSWIM !!. I think one of the demonstrators (might have been Barbara) said it was a closed cell (?).
    Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Is that 1 cm thick JM? As in A4 Translucent White Super Foam mat for piercing and parching. It doesn't give any details on the Clarity site as to what it's made of. And I can't find it for sale anywhere else.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that's the one, its A4 size and the 1cm thick and they do it in an A4 thinner one too. Not want to be mean sounding but it does seem dear for what it is LOL ! Never mind, its not essential yet - I'm still practising! although I have done some colouring on a basic design so I guess that's progress for me, hubby said it was nice but there are at least 4 faults on it but he couldn't see them 'cos he didn't know what he was looking for LOL ! Thank you PJP.
    Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

I did a bit of searching for closed cell foam and it seems to be the stuff that camping or yoga mats are made from. The problem may be with the translucent bit as I don't know if you would be able to see through a white foam mat even with a light box underneath. I have not seen any of the demos so not sure if this would be an equivalent alternative
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Lioness, that probably explains why its expensive ! Ah well, I'll start putting my coppers away, they'll mount up over time lol !!

Post Thanks / Like

ebay seller craftrangestore has the clarity ones for £4.99 free P&P
    Only a few left
    Not sure the thickness or if it's cheaper than what you have seen
    But says it's for pricking and parchment to protect light box etc
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't remember how much I paid for the one from Pauline Loweth, also bought the translucent embossing mat at the same time. It must have been about the same price that Clarity charge for theirs, which didn't seem bad considering how useful it is. At least it is when i actually use my light box, sometimes I find I am better using natural light, then another day I can be doing exactly the same thing, and prefer my light box - weird or what!

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can work out there are 2 mats, the thinner one is about £5 and the 1cm thick one is about £10

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they do it in 2 thicknesses - that's the thin one LJ, I asked about it but thanks everyone! The 1cm is so that you don't damage your light panel with the pricking. You can use the thinner one but you have to be very careful (as I understand it !)

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you could get away with putting a shank of some sort onto your pricking tool to make the needle shorter, or putting an acrylic plate on top of your light box (and under the thin pricking mat) to protect it? I was thinking of the acrylic plates used for die cutting machines. If they are not scored too much then they should still let the light through. Just as an interim measure of course and only if you already have one as an A4 sheet of acrylic could be more expensive than the proper mat if you had to buy one. Would a few sheets of clear acetate also work?