Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at Powertex

Post Thanks / Like

Default First attempt at Powertex

Well it is right when stated can be a bit mucky. Covered the table with plastic bubble wrap, couldn’t find anything else. Made sure I had plenty of the disposable gloves near me, then it was eyes down and start. Wasn’t quite sure if I was doing it right, need to look again at the online videos. I used a canvas board that I had lurking in the cupboard and plenty of material. So eyes down I used the bronze hardener and painted that on the board and added the material drenching that in the hardener as well. Whilst still wet, out came the mdf gears and a couple of metal embellishments and pushed them onto the wet material and coated with the hardener. That was yesterday, then this morning I used the varnish with different powder colours that Powertex sell, a case of painting and dabbing. A few times it was too much but as it was still wet, at least I could use a paper towel and dab off the excess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Tricia

http://www.townrow.org.uk/

Post Thanks / Like

That's great Tricia - you must be pleased with your first attempt. Re something to cover your table - keep all the charity bags that come through the letterbox. Split the seams and lay several over the table top.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PP, never gave that a thought. Put a load of them in the local supermarket recycle bags box. We usually get about one a week put through the door, so will keep them for future mucky use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Wow, what an amazing project. Doesn’t look like a first attempt, it’s as good as anything demoed on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Victoria, I suppose it’s a bit like altered art. Rather enjoying doing that and I have used similar mediums with stencils. Although they are not as messy as powertex.

Essex to the left, London to the right and Kent straight ahead!
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Tricia.
    I did a workshop a few yrs ago at the Hunky dory Craft thingy at Stoneleigh .
    I did enjoy it but it was so messy it put me off . Daughter (12) at the time loved it and bought a starter kit but went off the idea when I told her she had to prep the kitchen counter and clear up afterwards. It's sat up on top of her wardrobe ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely need to prep everything. I have an altered box on the go as well, and as I use the dining room table, everything on it including the parts of the box started, had to feel covered over. I wouldn’t mind going to a workshop but trouble is there doesn’t appear to be anything in my area, hence I am going through the videos on YouTube to see what people have done.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks great, looking forward to seeing your future creations. I bought some PVC covered fabric tablecloth stuff at Dunelm yesterday to cover the kitchen table. Managed to find a nice owl patterned one which was reduced to £5 a metre. Wish I'd bought it years ago as much white IKEA table is ruined at the end I sit and craft at. No idea how it's developed tiny chips in the surface, but archival ink stains it terribly it when you drop a stamp face down!

Post Thanks / Like

Tricia thanks so much for sharing this and it looks wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

I think its lovely Tricia thank you for showing us, I didn't realise it was so messy so I'm afraid I will have to give it a miss 'cos I don't do messy, can't do with my hands being wet and sticky lol !!
    Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !