Thread: One round forward, two rounds back

Post Thanks / Like

Default One round forward, two rounds back

Having fairly recently taught myself to crochet (with the aid of loads of fabulous info on the internet) I decided to try making a crochet doily. I would love to create some table runners as I have seen some beautiful patterns on line, but as a novice I though I'd start with something smaller.
    Well I have now unpicked it so many times, that by now I could have made two of them!

Why is it that you only spot the mistakes once you have done a whole round or two?
    And there is no way of rectifying this other than unpicking up to the mistake and re doing.

As a knitter I have tried to ignore mistakes in the past, but then because I know they are there, my eye is constantly drawn to them, and it drives me nuts, so now I just unpick and deal with it as I go along

Very annoying though when you think that you have almost finished the item. I was literally abut 30 stitches from the end ... now another 3 rounds to re-do!

I think a hot beverage is called for!

Post Thanks / Like

That's so frustrating! At least unpicking crochet is easier (to me) than unpicking knitting. I know what you mean about only you knowing the mistake is there but it plays on your mind until you go back and re do it! Well done on persevering and hopefully you'll show us it when you finish.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

It is always the way, you are doing so well then see you have made a mistake
    And have to undo it all
    Hope 2nd time round it comes out perfect
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the feeling well chuck. When I was designing for the magazine I was often having to frog the design as it didn't lie properly, as in flat. There were times I really didn't know why the hell I was putting myself through it for a measly fifty squid at the most.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I know the feeling too, haven't done any crocheting for ages but am knitting a few squares for a throw at the moment. Would love to do something else (I actually like knitting and crocheting pretty matinee jackets, could do these all the time but wouldn't know what to do with them).

I'm not sure if the old style with lots of pattern are still popular or if it's the more cardigan style that are in fashion these days. I know you can get pretty cardigan patterns but I still prefer the matinee jackets.

I've got loads of knitting/crochet patterns some probably dating back to the 50s. Some are a bit old fashioned but I loved the ones around in the 70s and 80s.

Hope you can get it sorted out Lioness.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I like babies to look like babies too Pam, just can't see how a 6wk old looks good in denim dungarees myself - so I don't mind having another baby if you want to send them to me? LOL !!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Got there in the end!
    The pattern was from the internet, written in 'long hand' using US terms/stitches. Not really complicated, but you have to concentrate more and be aware of the fact that a double crochet is our treble etc. and try to follow reams of long sentences. I find the charts much easier to follow.

The doily is only about 8" wide, so not exactly big, but I was probably so keen to finish it, that I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.

"I actually like knitting and crocheting pretty matinee jackets, could do these all the time but wouldn't know what to do with them"
    I think most of us have a similar problem with our crafting, particularly card making - we love to create things but don't necessarily have enough recipients for them.I think somewhere I have a knitted christening gown which I loved making but which never got used by the person it was intended for. I am not sure whether now anyone would want something like that.

Baby garments are fun to make because they can be finished relatively quickly (as long as you knit quicker than the babies grow ..... )

I must admit that in spite of the challenge, it is nice to try something totally different. I will try to post a piccie over the next few days if I can work out how to do it

Thanks for all the support.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping to be well on with baby stuff by now, but unfortunately Naomi didn't manage to reach the 12 week stage, let alone the 40th week. No matter, I am sure she and Chris will have another go eventually. Naomi wanted me to make a traditional shawl when she discovered she was pregnant. I am working on it at the moment. Got sort of sidetracked from it over C********, but decided a couple of days ago that if I do a couple of rows each day on the centre section, then it will get done with a lot less hassle than trying to do it at breakneck speed. I managed three rows today before heading back to my fist JCS C******** ornament of the year.

There are a few charities around who would be more than happy to accept baby clothes. Christine was making baby garments for a lady in the Irish Republic last year. The trouble with that was that it cost a small fortune to post the things. It would have cost enough to post to Northern Ireland, but the Republic is part of Europe, so considerably dearer.

Some shops that sell knitting yarn may also appreciate items for their window displays. I know Rosemary/Shelby's shop have ready made items for sale, many of which are traditional baby clothes. Of course one uses their patterns and yarn, but that isn't a problem as they are happy to supply both.

Roz
    Last edited by RozMinis; 24-01-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's a good idea Roz, I bet the shops would love to do displays it will encourage people more that just seeing a pattern for 'whatever'.

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

The shawl scarf I did recently has been knitted by Christine nine times over the past three months or so, at least six of them ended up in the shop, of which all but one has sold.

I knitted mine in the bright colours, need to wear sunglasses to see it. Finished one of my socks this afternoon, made a start on the welt of the second one. Sun glasses need to be worn when viewing those too. I thought the orange/cream/brown ones were bright, but yikes, these are mega wattage. :)

Worked four rows on the shawl today, discovered that it was sending me to sleep, so packed it in at that. Why crochet should send me to sleep, yet not the knitting, I have no idea.

Roz