Thread: Distress Oxides Set 3 ~ IN STOCK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Distress Oxides Set 3 ~ IN STOCK

Tim Holtz Distress Ink Oxides Inkpads

Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Ink Pads are water-reactive dye & pigment ink fusion that creates an oxidized effect when sprayed with water. Use with stamps, stencils, and direct to surface. Blend using Ink Blending Tools and Foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just say, to anyone who hasn't tried these, what great ink pads they are! I didn't get any for ages after the launch because I have the original distress inks (DIs) and thought the oxides (DOs) were just more of the same. They are not!

Yes, you can use them for distress backgrounds - press the ink pad on a craft sheet, spray with water, swipe your card through it. But you can do so much more. They are "neater" than the DIs for stamping, you get a much clearer image, but you can still spray with water for a watercolour effect etc.

They are opaque, so you can use them on dark cardstock. And (as long as you dry between layers) you can layer up contrasting colours without getting mud, so if you use a resist technique you can get fabulous effects.

They are much smoother than DIs because of the pigment ink in the blend, so blended backgrounds are easier to do without the harsh lines I sometimes get from the edge of the applicator with DIs.

Also because of the pigment ink, they are slower to dry so you can heat-emboss them.

I've only done a bit of playing so far, haven't used them "in anger" much, but I am desperate to find the time to do so, because they are a dream to work with. I really recommend them.
    Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mitzi. I've always 'ignored' them as I thought they couldn't be much different from the originals.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 5 just before Christmas and I've made a few backgrounds. They're definitely different.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Tim himself said they will dry out quicker than DI. Has anyone noticed this? I’ve been thinking about buying some but have resisted so far because of this.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have cosmic shimmers and cosmic paints that saw the light if day for about an hour
    as I was not sure what to do with them
    I won them in a competition along with loads of other stuff about 10+ years ago lol
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clumsycrafter View Post
    I think Tim himself said they will dry out quicker than DI. Has anyone noticed this? I’ve been thinking about buying some but have resisted so far because of this.
    I haven't had them long enough or used them enough to know about drying up but I have bought some reinkers. So far the pads seem quite juicy.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzi View Post
    I haven't had them long enough or used them enough to know about drying up but I have bought some reinkers. So far the pads seem quite juicy.
    Did CC mean this or were they asking if they dried on the card quicker?

Post Thanks / Like

The Oxides take longer to dry on the card than Distress Inks. That's why you can emboss with them. They dry to a chalky finish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pyjama princess View Post
    Did CC mean this or were they asking if they dried on the card quicker?
    I did mean that - Mitzi’s understanding was right.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post