Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Granny hexagon pleas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Granny hexagon pleas

I'm trying to crochet this Granny hexagon, managed the first two rounds but am really stuck with the third. First of all I don't know how to join the different colour (don't usually have a problem with this lol. Then I just don't get the 1st bit of the 3rd round. I've tried several times, made a peculiar join but still couldn't manage the next bit. It's probably easy but I just can't see it. Any help appreciated. I'll put a pic up of the hexagon too.

https://imgur.com/LGt1XfF

https://imgur.com/dCnn0j9
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I am a newbie to crochet, so probably don't have enough knowledge to advise.
    However, I wonder if they have left out a 'ch 3' before the first tr of that row?
    Without actually trying it myself this is just a guess: attach new colour to any 3ch space, ch 3, 1 tr in same space, 3tr into next space ...........
    This seems also to be the start of row 4

I think you may get away with just tying the new colour onto the 3ch space and threading the ends through at the end to tidy them away. (up the same stitch??)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lioness, thanks for the reply. I did try tying the yarn into the 3 chain space but couldn't make out how to do a treble in it lol. Sounds daft doesn't it. Then it says I treble into next space (or something like that) so I'm assuming that doesn't mean 3 chain space but I don't know what space it means. It's a shame because it's only the second second and I managed the first one OK but didn't quite follow the pattern as that didn't work either.

Must be me getting something wrong but I don't quite know what!
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I know a lot of the crochet terms WL but have never cottoned on to doing it as a hobby 'cos I'm not good enough, however, when I looked at the pic's there's something looks very odd to me on the second pic, on the top-edge-side two rows? Sorry I can't help but Roz may be able to put you right when she comes along tonight?

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean JM, doesn't look quite right does it. It's really bugging me, I haven't done much crochet lately but used to do a lot. This pattern seems a bit double Dutch to me lol
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

There seem to be a few mistakes in the instructions IMO; the ch 3 at the beg of round 3; Round 4 states to join new colour on to any 3 ch space - there isn't a 3 ch space in the previous row.

Have found a video which looks like the same hexagon that you are after.
    video seems to show a ch 3 at the beginning of round 3, which I thought might be missing, so maybe it will be of some help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC7OOKM-MWQ

edited to add correct link
    2nd edit:
    Have found another video made by someone who also stated that the instructions were terrible!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tW-89X2vw
    Last edited by Lioness; 12-04-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I worked out what is wrong with the third row, as in it should start with 3 ch and 1 treble. That is the first half of one of the corners. The next 3 treble are in the gap between the corners, this is followed by 2 treble, 1 ch, 2 treble. However it shouldn't be 1 ch, it should be 3, though I notice it says 1 ch between the two trebles on the next row. Obviously the designer hasn't checked the pattern properly. The last 2 treble, 1 ch, sl st to join, make up the other half of the first corner by the way.

Anywhoo, no matter which way round you put it, there is definitely a mistake on the third and second rows. As there are only two trebles, ch, 2 trebles at each corner, I would be inclined toward 2 ch at each corner as 4 trebles divided by a chain would be a bit of a tight fit.

I made a silly boob on the baby shawl yesterday, as in getting carried away and working a couple of extra rows. Wondered why the trebles were not adding up properly, as in 9 instead of 7. At least I only had to frog one row as the previous row was correct, though I didn't realise that at the time, so nearly frogged that as well. Please pay attention Rosie. ;) There are a couple of problems on that pattern as well, but I managed to work out what they were before they got out of hand.

When Dot was running the crochet group I don't think there was one pattern where there wasn't a mistake. I bought several DMC toy patterns, every one of them had a mistake, the same mistake I night add, in the body. I cancelled my subscription to one of the crochet magazines due to mistakes. I stopped buying other magazines for the same reason.

I've downloaded a few via Ravelry, not had problems with those thank goodness. Of course one has to change the destructions to UK/ROW terms, but apart from that there hasn't been a problem. Never had any problems with bought knitting patterns, dunno why crochet ones are such a pain in the wotsit.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

That second link is ace Lioness (didn't watch the first), its using the EXACT same piccie in the ladies example! Although much of it confused me (USA & UK terms lol !!) I found it fascinating and the lady's hex is different result altogether to the badly instructed pic poor WL has - no wonder you had problems WL, but you can see now its not yourself its the instructions!!

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, especially Lioness for the links, haven't looked at them yet but will in a minute.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a look now and the first one is the best I think, haven't tried it yet but will later.

Thanks once again Lioness. Glad I'm not the only one who had trouble lol.
    I love flowers