Thread: Socks - put on your dark glasses before viewing!

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Socks - put on your dark glasses before viewing!

I think I may have a sock fetish. I have knitted them for 'himself' for the last million years, at least it seems that long. Anywhoo I have started knitting them for myself as I needed 'em in my walking boots. So far I have four pairs, blue self striping, pink speckled, orange/brown/cream self striping, and now these.

DSCN1023.jpg

Bought two more balls of wool today. The rep was in the shop and told us there were some new colours arriving on Friday. I'm not 'that' keen, so they can wait until next Tuesday. Will definitely have to have the one with lavender in it. Free pattern n'all, and not just for socks. I reckon I could do with a woolly hat for my walks, the one I normally wear blows off in the wind. :)

Roz
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen socks like that in accessorise
    They were £14.99
    You should set up a stall and sell them
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you with your socks Roz and Deefy with her hats - bespoke and artisan that folk pay a fortune for ladies. and Paul Martin says "Quality, Quality, Quality always sells".
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

They look so cosy.

Post Thanks / Like

The yarn normally costs a fraction under £7 a ball, though Christine and I get 10% off as we can't keep out of the shop! ;)

I could probably knit up a pair in two and a half days if I didn't do anything else. :)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

They are great.

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh lovely socks, I tend to find that thick socks nowadays are so huge that I have given up buying. Why they have to sell as unisex is beyond me, I always find the toe area is too wide then it puckers up in the boots and I end up with sore toes. Enjoy your knitting Roz.

Tricia

http://www.townrow.org.uk/

Post Thanks / Like

Ah now the way to go tricia is to knit them yourself so you can have a perfect fit. I have to work an extra 20 rows in the foot for 'himself' and Kate as they both take a size 8 shoe. If you work in metric, then work it out for yersen as I haven't a clue what the metric size is! ;)

Kate has the same length of leg as me, but 'himself' likes really long socks. Some of 'em are nearly up to his manly bits, though he has quite a few pairs that are shorter. Not sure he would want socks that are that bright though. I have made him some in self striping sock yarn, but they tend to be shades of brown or blue.

The ones in the picture are in 4ply, but over the past zzzzz years, I have made them in double knitting as well. It isn't so easy these days to find hard wearing wool/nylon in double knitting, though as he doesn't wear wellies anymore I don't s'pose it matters all that much. His socks only lasted about two months during the autumn/winter/spring before I had to repair them. In the end I used to knit an extra heel and sew it on so that they would last a bit longer as I got fed up of darning the things. During the summer when he was wearing his boots they would last the entire summer. He wore at least three pairs of socks with his wellies, two with his boots.

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

I knitted some socks once and fell about laughing at how they came out. Not quite sure what the heel was meant to be but it definitely was a weird shape.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tricia

http://www.townrow.org.uk/

Post Thanks / Like

Linda, or maybe it was Jill, at the needle and natter group managed to get the heel ever so slightly wrong. She had picked up the stitches the wrong way round, so it ended up inside out. Bless her, she tried again and all was well. :)

Roz