Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy crochet baby blanket pattern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easy crochet baby blanket pattern

My daughter wants a pretty crochet baby blanket for the expected new arrival
    I would love to make one for her but have not done any
    crochet for years due to my fingers playing up
    I see they do crochet hooks with a soft handle now
    Does any one know of a simple but pretty pattern
    And the best wool to use please
    Jan
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

I am afraid I cheated and bought one for our new grandaughter due to her early arrival.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to do one for last grandaughter but someone beat me to it
    Daughter has seen on on ebay
    Which is half of what it would cost me in just in wool
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jan, had a look through my patterns as I had quite a nice one that was fairly easy to do. Still got the cover somewhere but I can't find the pattern. Couldn't find any cover patterns at all but there must have been about 10 shawl patterns. Sorry.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for looking Pam
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have you decided to get the one on eBay? If not, or you want to make one anyway, this site has some nice free patterns: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/crochet-4162930
    I think it is a US site though so you would have to check the instructions for single/double/treble stitches as they are different to the UK.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Revelry is a good place to find patterns. Some are UK/ROW, though quite a few are from the USA, which has a different system to the rest of us. Actually I think their system is more logical, bit like their idea of cup cakes, far more sensible than the confusion with buns.

I use the Clover Soft Touch hooks. I wouldn't say they are soft as such, but they are much easier on the hands/fingers than the metal ones. Clover also do sizes that are not readily available here in the UK, which for somebody who used to use a size 0.50mm, is a blessing. I tried to crochet with a size 6.00mm hook a few days ago, big mistake on my part. Check out Amazon or eBay for hooks.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sea...&craft=crochet

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...Acrochet+hooks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=crochet+hooks

I can't believe just how cheap sets of them are on Amazon and eBay. I've coughed up more than what they are charging just for a case for mine. I have also seen hooks that have little lights on them so that one can see what one is doing. I have a feeling they would probably drive me round the twist!

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried searching for baby blankets patterns on Pinterest? It can be quite time-consuming but you may find something you like.
    I highly recommend crochet hooks with the fatter silicone type handles. There is no way that I would be able to crochet using a standard metal hook as I would not be able to grip it easily. I treated myself to some clover amour hooks. As they are fairly chunky they are easier to hold. I also crochet by holding the hook like a knife rather than a pencil. Again the grip is not as tight, hence more comfortable for my hand, but that is personal preference. As regards the cost-sadly gone are the days when it was cheaper to make your own.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies
    I have ordered a set of the soft grip hooks
    And think I have sorted a pattern on a free download site
    I agree about the price of making things yourself
    Last lot of wool I bought was 3 for a £1 in Wilkinson’s lol
    We have a big wool shop in town
    Probably over priced as most of the shops are
    The town does not have many shops but what it does have charge the earth
    Probably as the locals are quite affluent( unlike us )so they can charge what they like lol
    Not sure what wool is best though

Post Thanks / Like

If its likely to need lots of washing then the safest bet would probably be 'baby wool/yarn', which normally comes in acrylic I think. They tend to be softer which hopefully will also mean that it should be easier/less scratchy to crochet with.
    To an extent, the pattern may determine what yarn you use.

There is also a chenille type yarn which can be used for baby blankets but you need 7-9mm hooks for the one I have seen.
    What is your deadline for this? Aldi and Lidl often have reasonably priced baby yarn but you have to wait for deals to come around. And the choice may be limited