Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy crochet baby blanket pattern

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lioness
    I have untill March so no real hurry just like to make sure I have things in advance
    I do set my self a task though, years ago I made a crochet hooded cape for a christening
    I liked the pattern but the thing is I had never done crochet before lol
    but it turned out ok once I had mastered the pattern I was wizzing along
    Same as cross stitch I mastered doing basic birth samplers then decided to do a vase of roses for my mum for Christmas
    There were 15 shades of pink and about 15 roses
    I stared it in August and ended up just getting it done for Mums Birthday in the January
    only as left out a few of the roses from the design lol
    I never do take the easy route
    at the moment I am making dress up stuff for Grandaughter
    found some lovey rainbow voil like fabric
    It was a B...er to sew it kept fraying good job its only for playing in
    now she wants me to make a dress up wedding dress
    can I have it done for Friday when I go
    Erm No lol
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

The easy route is something I seldom go down, no fun in it!

I am very lucky in that we have three stalls in the market that sell knitting yarn. Yup they are still there in the new market. Wilko's, Poundland and Poundstretcher also sell knitting yarn. I usually buy from the shop in the arcade though. That is where the most expensive yarn is, but also where the best offers are. When I say expensive it is because it is the real top drawer stuff, but they also sell the much cheaper brands as well.

I've bought loads of 'on offer' yarn to make scarves/shawls for the woofit/fluffit shop. As soon as there are only a couple of balls of a dye lot left, it goes into the sale bin. So a ball that would normally cost say £4, would be reduced to £2.50 or so. As I spend my life savings in the shop, as does Christine, we get a 10% discount. They are also very obliging in getting a pack of yarn for us that they wouldn't normally sell. They are also one of those lovely shops that will put yarn away if we can't afford it all in one go.

Roz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I recently completed this blanket for a work colleague who is expecting a very precious IVF baby in January. The wool I used is Stylecraft special baby DK (which is 100% acrylic) and it cost £2.19 per 100g ball. I think it took 4 balls to knit. The blanket was quite harsh when first knitted but after a wash and a tumble dry it was beautifully soft. Generally speaking I find cheap wool to be not terribly successful and only use it for toys and suchlike where it doesn't really matter. I don't like to waste money and do pick and choose my materials. I have a lovely local wool shop where I purchase most of my wool as I can really examine it and get a feel for it before parting with my hard earned cash!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

My crafty blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info ladies
    Daughter has purchased a blanket off ebay it’s a basic design in white but with a few rows of pastel
    Lady is doing a white hat with a multi pastel bobble for free
    Lady says she makes them all day everyday as a hobby and to make some pocket money she must bulk buy her wool for the price she charges and still makes a profit
    Daughter said if I still want to make she would be pleased
    So I will try the wool shop in town.
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Princess4Wiz View Post
    I recently completed this blanket for a work colleague who is expecting a very precious IVF baby in January. The wool I used is Stylecraft special baby DK (which is 100% acrylic) and it cost £2.19 per 100g ball. I think it took 4 balls to knit. The blanket was quite harsh when first knitted but after a wash and a tumble dry it was beautifully soft. Generally speaking I find cheap wool to be not terribly successful and only use it for toys and suchlike where it doesn't really matter. I don't like to waste money and do pick and choose my materials. I have a lovely local wool shop where I purchase most of my wool as I can really examine it and get a feel for it before parting with my hard earned cash!
    That is really pretty
    I can’t knit many people have tried to teach me but tell me I am too cack
    handed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jan View Post
    That is really pretty
    I can’t knit many people have tried to teach me but tell me I am too cack
    handed
    Luckily I was taught to knit at an early age by my Mum. My eyesight isn't too great now so I have to have simple patterns and that blanket is simplicity itself. Only four rows to the pattern which I could memorise without any trouble. Are you left handed? If you are then you should find a left handed teacher.
    My crafty blog

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

My gran taught me to knit and crochet. Not sure why she didn't throttle me with the knitting needles though as it took me an age to work out how to start and end a row. Can't believe I was such an idiot when I look back on all the stuff I have knitted over the years. I have knitted socks for 'himself' since I don't know when, but only really started knitting them for myself this past year or so. I now have enough sock yarn to start my own shop I reckon. Granted it is a lot dearer than buying ready made, but they do last, and fit perfectly. In himself's case they have to be extra long, which are impossible to buy in any shop.

As for knitting left handed. One of the ladies in our needle/natter group taught herself to crochet right handed. The lady who did the crochet when we were at Dot's shop told her she couldn't teach her because she was a lefty. Not sure if she knits left or right handed though, I will ask her next week.

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I learnt craftwise was knitting, my Mum was a great knitter and taught me at a very young age. She never crocheted so I taught myself from a book when I was in my teens. I don't know what I think is easiest but love the fact with crochet that you can leave it anywhere and start again without leaving a 'hole' lol. I even taught a couple of girls at junior school how to do purl lol.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Princess4Wiz View Post
    Luckily I was taught to knit at an early age by my Mum. My eyesight isn't too great now so I have to have simple patterns and that blanket is simplicity itself. Only four rows to the pattern which I could memorise without any trouble. Are you left handed? If you are then you should find a left handed teacher.
    No I am right handed lol
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    The first thing I learnt craftwise was knitting, my Mum was a great knitter and taught me at a very young age. She never crocheted so I taught myself from a book when I was in my teens. I don't know what I think is easiest but love the fact with crochet that you can leave it anywhere and start again without leaving a 'hole' lol. I even taught a couple of girls at junior school how to do purl lol.
    My mum never taught me anything craft wise
    She started a slip over for my dad I remember it well (I must have been about 5/6 )it was in blue wool flecked with brown
    Every Christmas when I went to the corner cabinet where we kept the few decorations we had
    There it was half done
    We moved when I was 10 and for many years the unfinished item was in a white paper bag it a new cupboard
    I am sure it was still about when I got married in 1983 lol

When mum was ill the lady over the road acted as my foster mum
    I was 8 and she taught me how to sew a hem by hand with out the stitches showing though
    She never had a sewing machine so she taught me to make clothing by hand
    She tried in vain to teach me to knit and although she had the patience of a saint she gave up on me
    I still prefer to hand sew although my sewing machine is getting a lot of use

me to sew my clothes by hand
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post