Thread: Sewing machine help what should I buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing machine help what should I buy?

I’ve had my faithful Brother sewing machine over 25 probably 30 years and it has had a lot of use
    It does basic stitching straight and zig zag that I use for edging as I don’t have an overlocker, a few embroidery stitches , button holes and variable needle spacing
    It has been playing up lately tension slipping and making a clanking sound
    I rang a local shop who quoted £45 to do a service plus any repairs or parts
    Worse case scenario £150 for parts
    Decided a new one would be money better spent
    I’m looking for something lightweight that does what my machine does plus any other useful things you may think of use
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother too LJ and I love it although they don't make it anymore - don't know why because it does everything and the threading system is via a cassette so means no fiddling about. Guess I've had it about 10 years now, it was from C&C way back when Jay Cooper used to be on.

If your not desperate for one just now LJ, I'm guessing that IW or C&C will be bringing some C******** deals on anytime soon.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is the Singer Brilliance. Has 80 different stitches, at least six of which are buttonholes. Why anybody would want that many I have no idea. I wasn't fussed about the embroidery stitches, had 20 cams that did the same thing in the New Home I had many years ago. I used 'em a few times, but eventually got bored as I really only made clothes for school and stuff like that.

All I really needed was a machine that had a variable stitch width and length, but the only ones that had that were those with embroidery stitches. Having said all that, I do find the threading (automatic threader) to be a tad easier than it used to be with previous machines, especially as the eyes are not what they were. Buttonholes are also much easier to do, as in no guesswork on the length. It is still somewhat heavier than I would have liked, but at least it fits into a sewing machine bag, as does all its bits and bobs. I have always worried about misplacing the foot, after all the thing won't work without it. I also keep one of those iron thingies, the one with different ends in the bag. There is also room for my spool winder, bought from C & C. Spare spools and some larger reels of thread.

The one BIG downside, and I suspect it is probably the same with most machines, is the light. Not only is it not as good as the one I had in the New Home, and previous sewing machines I used at school, but it isn't as easy to find a replacement bulb. In days of old they could be found in the local sewing machine shop, and even supermarket. I bought a clip on light at the 'little' Harrogate show a couple of years ago, the one at the showground. It helps, though I would still prefer the old bulbs.

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the modern lights are pants Roz. My old machine had a Fridge style bulb in and was lovely. This one is pathetic so I manage to squidge my Ottlite till I can see a bit better buts its not ideal - it gets in the way of the fabric. Might have a look for a portable one on fleabay.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Brother Innovis 20, which I bought at the Ally Pally Sewing and Stitching show a couple of years ago. Previously I had the bottom of the range Brother machine which I had bought at Hobbycraft which I had been happy with, but I needed to upgrade. I'm not a great sewing machine user, but I am very happy with my buy. Easy to use and does everything I need for basic sewing - I didn't want loads of features and stitches, just reliable plain sewing at a reasonable price!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I loved my old New Home, even loved the Singer hand machine my dad bought for me a million years ago for £5, well it seems like a million years ago. It had a missing screw, which I could probably have replaced, but I never got around to it. I even managed to get a foot that would move the fabric a wee bit so that I got a sort of stretch stitch. It wasn't ideal, but good enough for the stretchy fabric that was the fashion at the time.

I think I coughed up about £55 for the New Home, must have saved that much in the first couple of months making all those clothes. I gave it to Kate in the end as it was too heavy for me to lift. She passed it on to Christopher as it was too heavy for her. I gave her my Brother machine, hardly used as I didn't know if I would be able to use it again. Eventually I bought a Toyota, which apart from the drop in spool, which I thought was a brill idea, I hated the darn thing.

Haven't used my present Singer all that much either. No room to keep it out, so out of sight is out of mind. When push comes to shove I prefer hand sewing, yup, even buttonholes. :)

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy hand sewing ( my fingers don’t )as you have better control
    Daughter asked me to repair the fabric straps on the baby rocker
    Could not get the fabric through the machine due to the stiff seat
    So I hand sewed it
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

My machines are quite old now but I have a Husqvarna sewing machine and a Brother embroidery machine plus and overstitcher somewhere.

I loved the Husqvarna when I used to use it.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother Disney machine bought it from qvc years ago ,but I sent it back as they sent incompatible frames
    Ended up buying one elsewhere with all the extra accessories for a lot less .
    I have loads of design cards never used they are really expensive now
    So thinking of selling them

Kept thinking about getting an overlocker but they seem more expensive than a sewing machine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jan View Post
    I enjoy hand sewing ( my fingers don’t )as you have better control
    Daughter asked me to repair the fabric straps on the baby rocker
    Could not get the fabric through the machine due to the stiff seat
    So I hand sewed it
    OUCH! I bet that was really hard to sew. I have done something similar many moons ago, never again. At least sewing doesn't seem to affect my thumb as much as crochet does, even knitting can be a pain at times.

Roz