Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adhesive of choice - what is the best and most reliable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adhesive of choice - what is the best and most reliable?

After probably a couple of years of no card making, I finally forced myself to make a card for a 90 year old relative. It probably took me about 4 hours largely due to the fact that I had packed all my craft stuff away before Christmas to make room for my visitors. Most of it is still in boxes which at the moment I cannot access, but I was determined to give it a go. Having done all the stamping and colouring in, I then wrecked it by using a wet glue as my usual collall universal glue had solidified (all 3 bottles). Fortunately managed to cut down and re-layer using brads to keep everything together.

My question is what do you use to glue down layers so that the adhesive doesn't show through and that everything does remain stuck down for at least 5 years!

Does anyone know if it is possible to rescue the collall universal glue once it has started to solidify? Assume that it should be an alcohol of some sort but don't know

Post Thanks / Like

Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue - always! Apart from red liner tape as well as glue when making boxes.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly use double sided tape and have never been told that it's come unstuck - but then people may not wish to keep my cards LOL!
    For wet glue I use Tonic's own make but they've changed it recently, I think it's now called 'luxury 'and it's in different shaped bottles. I prefer how it used to be so may not continue with it when I use up my stash of the old style. But I also have Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic, Collall all purpose glue and Pinflair glues (glue gel and book binding) and use different ones for different things. I've just bought Art Institute Glitter Designer glue with a fine metal tip. I want to make the beautiful flowers that Chloe makes and she uses this glue to add tiny dots of glitter to the finished flowers.
    I use papers printed from CDs/USB a lot in my cardmaking (I'm on the CD Sunday Plus Challenge design team) and I have to keep wet glue away from the printed side as it causes the ink to run. I think most of us use far to much glue which is why things crinkle/buckle when using wet glue.
    If you watch Lynda Chapman on C&C she only ever uses photo glue from Pinflair.

http://pamelaspages.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I nearly always use double sided tape too.

I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped using double sided tape when I discovered one Christmas that cards made the previous Christmas (or they might have been 2 years old) had loose mats and layers.

Post Thanks / Like

I also used ds tape a lot, and had similar issues to Victoria. Had some cards at home which I made and had not sent out only to find that some had come unstuck.
    It is possible that I had used a brand which wasn't great, but there is so much choice now.
    Do you remember Dawn Bibby's sticky dots (cannot remember the exact name)? Even they show through sometimes.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually use double sided sticky tape, but I am assuming that folks won't keep the cards I send down to the fluffit/woofit shop anyway. I used to belong to several ATC groups, no longer interested, so am working my way through them, all 2000+ of them, as card toppers. I am sure the blessed things are breeding as they don't seem to be any less of 'em. I found many of those had loose bits, so restuck them with double sided tape.

Roz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of year ago I made C******** cards with Pinflair glue gel then when I got some spare ones out the next year I had to throw them away because of a smell.
    Now use double sided tape and foam pads

Post Thanks / Like

Rarely use tape here as I find wet glue more forgiving. I probably have all the usual brands of PVA which used to drive Mark mad. We would have 5 litre pots of PVA as used by builders in his DIY cupboard and I would be buying tiny pots of it at far higher prices. His reasoning was if its good enough to stick staircases together, there really won't be a problem with paper and card.

I have that Art Institute glue from a few years ago but yet to try it. A stack of crafty stash fell down behind the washing machine ages ago and I haven't been able to fish all of it back out. A Bank Holiday project maybe !

Forgot to say love big foam pads but that's probably down to liking slapping them on and peeling the backs off. Pinflair glue gel is my go to for sticking down random shaped items.
    Last edited by Julie; 22-05-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use the brown double sided tape from Stix 2, I find it much stronger than the white tape.