Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knitted Dick Bruna Quilts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knitted Dick Bruna Quilts

Some months ago I asked if anyone had a copy of the Dick Bruna quilt which was in Family Circle in c.1990. A lovely forum member responded and I was able to knit them for my grand-daughters for Christmas, to match the one owned by their Dad. And here they are!

IMG_1426[7097].JPGIMG_1427[7099].JPGIMG_1432[7101].JPG
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh how lovely, I'm sure they'll treasure them, well done and thanks for sharing CSF
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

Wow they are lovely
    I am sure your granddaughters will treasure them
    and pass them to the next generation
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks lovely. ;)

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested, I knitted them with Paintbox double knit yarn from Love Knitting. Lots of colours to choose from and easy to knit with. The final item feels really cuddly - unlike the original made for my son (the one on the right) which feels very thin in comparison. Could just be old age and washing, but I also think that modern yarns are better constructed/spun.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the knots! I have lost count with the number of knots I have found in knitting yarn in recent years. I complained to Sirdar, Hayfield and King Cole over it. One, or even two knots I can cope with, apparently one has to allow for considerably more than that. At one time I used to buy my wool, it was mostly wool or wool/nylon in those days, not acrylic as it is now. It came in hanks which I used to wind into balls using my clothes horse.

A while ago I bought some sock wool which should have produced a matching pair. The colour changes were exactly the same in each ball, with no two colours the same. However, there was a knot, so I lost about a yard of one colour, which meant that the socks did not match. Of course had I used the ball with the knot first I would have cut the yarn and disposed of the excess. Sods law being what it is meant that I used the ball without the knot first, and there was no way I was going to unravel three quarters of a ball just to achieve a matching pair. :(

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't find any knots in the Paintbox yarn, which is why I was so happy knitting with it, unlike some other brands I have used. And, as I said, I was really impressed with the finish. I'm knitting a blanket with King Cole value yarn at the moment (recommended by the pattern. It is easy to knit with, but the cuddle factor is nowhere near as good!!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is often the trouble with the cheaper yarns. We keep telling Shelby that the Stylecraft Special is so much nicer to use than the mega cheap stuff she sells. She won't get it in stock though as it is somewhat more expensive. :( The yarn we use for the chemo hats is King Cole Cherish, which is very soft. It has to be really soft apparently, and so far Sheryll has found that to be the best.

All baby items have to be made using acrylic due to some babies being allergic to wool. Some of the other charities we supply are not too fussed about what yarn we use, hence why I am using up my balls of Curiosity.

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

I knitted a blanket in Stylecraft Special ran Aand it is lovely to snuggle up under when I'm watching TV. I knitted it in the summer when I saw the pattern in a magazine. It is all in one piece - I had to knit it across a round needle because of the width - so it was hot work. But now the weather is chillier I am glad I made the effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see the pics very well but from what I can see they look gorgeous.

I love flowers