Thread: Knitters needed to help comfort patients

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knitters needed to help comfort patients

Just spotted an appeal for Knitted teddies to be made for patients and their loved ones during the COVID-19 pandemic.
    More info and an easy pattern can be found here (Salford Royal Hospital)

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never found my knitting needles since moving here and gave almost all my yarn away a few years ago. I feel guilty for not joining in things like this. Where did you see the request and are you sure it’s genuine? I only ask because I saw a request (not on here) a few weeks ago to send pictures of rainbows to the Nightingale Hospital and they put out a message saying it was fake and not to send anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I can’t see a pattern?

Post Thanks / Like

I've just had a look and it all seems Kosher Mitzi, the pattern is on a pdf file down at the bottom,
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Two and two make four...........but now and then they add up to three and occasionally, just occasionally its five !

Post Thanks / Like

you are right to query validity especially as making these would incur costs for materials and postage.
    I spotted this on MSN, which opens up as my holding page when I open my browser, and followed the link which took me to the Salford royal NHS foundation website. Had to go to the second page of their news but the request is also scrolling across the top of the page (small writing under the tabs) It looks genuine but I am not from the area so wouldn't know if the info is correct.
    I did a general search for 'knitted bears for patients' and Salford city news appeared to have the story on 11 May.
    The pattern was on the bottom of the NHS article. you have to click on the pdf
    I will try to put another link for the pattern on HERE

Hope this isn't fake news as it seems a lovely idea.
    The pattern looks easy - just my kind of thing: one piece and minimal sewing up
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

The pattern looks similar to one the Penistone knitting group uses for various charities. There are so many of them now I can't keep track. Many members of the group have been making extenders for nursing staff and others to use with their masks. I know from experience that the elastic gets quite painful after a while.

I don't have any cotton yarn, which is what needs to be used as they go through a very hot wash, which acrylic doesn't like. I did make myself two for my masks though. I found I had to increase the width quite substantially for one of my masks, though the other one isn't too bad. I also find the cost of postage to be prohibitive. I posted several baby hats to Sheryll for the baby unit at BDGH which cost me nearly £3 just for postage.

Speaking of Sheryll, she has won a Yorkshire Water award, she received loads of knitting yarn for the babies. She won the Pride of Barnsley Award a few months ago as well. :)

Roz
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RozMinis View Post
    ……. Many members of the group have been making extenders for nursing staff and others to use with their masks. I know from experience that the elastic gets quite painful after a while.

I don't have any cotton yarn, which is what needs to be used as they go through a very hot wash, which acrylic doesn't like. I did make myself two for my masks though. I found I had to increase the width quite substantially for one of my masks, though the other one isn't too bad. I also find the cost of postage to be prohibitive. …..

:)

Roz
    Roz do you have any bits of cotton material that you could cut into strips as an alternative to crochet extenders? Might just do the trick if you add a button at each end.
    I agree that the price of postage can be offputting. I too would prefer to do projects where I can drop off locally and avoid postage costs

Post Thanks / Like

D'oh! I hadn't noticed that the word "here" in the OP is a link. It doesn't look any different from the other text on my phone.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    Roz do you have any bits of cotton material that you could cut into strips as an alternative to crochet extenders? Might just do the trick if you add a button at each end.
    I agree that the price of postage can be offputting. I too would prefer to do projects where I can drop off locally and avoid postage costs
    Got loads of cotton fabric, just can't be bothered to drag my sewing machine out! Not that they are exactly short of the crochet ones, some are even knitting them. It is the postage that puts me off, well that and actually going to the post office, or even finding something to put them in for the post. I was supposed to have bought more of the plastic posting bags the last time I was in town, but forgot. No idea when i will be going in again, though I dare say I could look on eBay or Amazon. If they don't have them, nobody will.

Roz
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog