Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam pads or glue?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Foam pads or glue?

I just wondered what people prefer using on their cards when doing matting and layering or decoupage? Before I started crafting, I didn't know about these things but for the past year, whenever I'm in a card shop, I always look to see how cards are fixed together!

I've got that lovely Kanban Box of Delights to put together at some point, and in particular am wondering whether to use glue or pads for the decoupage. For some reason, I think that using foam pads looks a bit amateur, I don't know why, but you don't normally see cards made with foam pads in card shops. But they do give the height to the decoupage.

Glue obviously dries clear so is less visible but sometimes doesn't seem to be as secure especially if you're sticking onto glossy card or paper. But you don't get the height as much as with foam pads.

Anyway, I'd better get back to work, but just wondered what people prefer to use and why? :thinking:

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marie

I tend to prefer to use silicone glue most of the time. I think you can get a more 'rounded' lifelike effect especially when doing things like flowers, animals, people, fairies etc. There are times when I would choose foam pads, for example if I was doing pyramage or invertage where I wanted a flatter effect. I would however always choose silicone if I was putting something onto glitter card so it doesn't drop off!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I love the 1mm foam pads. They give a subtle effect which I think is much nicer than the great big thick ones.
    My Crafty Little Blog - Lots of Claritystamp.

Post Thanks / Like

I use silicone if I want height because I never get it in the right place first shot and can manoevre silicone :) For sticking down mattes I use fingerlift DS tape and the peel off the top bit, pull the paper out sideways technique. for glittering I use a zig pen or diamond glaze applied thinly. If I'm sticking onto glitter card , I give the glitter a good old scrape first where the glue will go to make assurance doubly sure

Anne Guest

1mm foam pads or silicone glue for me. Always use silicone if sticking something onto glitter card or paper.

Post Thanks / Like

Silicone and a cocktail stick or 1mm pads.

I bought some of those clear ones from Craft Superstore and they tend to slide when the weather is hot. However they do seem to stick rather well to your feet!

Post Thanks / Like

Always used to use silicone until I came across an old card I had made and when I picked it up it fell to pieces, So have lost the confidence to use on cards that people might like to keep. Now use 1mm foam pads so that they don't get too high on several layers of decoupage.

Think the silicone is easier though as it is more forgiving than foam pads. Might try pinflair sometime as they say that is good!!

Post Thanks / Like

Usually use foam pads, but I agree with Budgie that glue is better for a more rounded effect. Have recently bought some pinflair glue gel and that seems to give good results.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started I always used foam pads then I decided to try silicone and much prefered it but got fed up of it drying up in the tube so tried Pinflair glue and love, love, love it but still use foam pads for pyramage as I think it works better as you need each layer to be uniform to get the right effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Foam pads and dst I'm always in a rush so can't wait for silicone to dry