Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Deal Direct from Tonic Watercolor pencil tins

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Deal Direct from Tonic Watercolor pencil tins

Not sure if I am allowed to post this or where to do so, but here goes..

Tonic have a weekend deal and they are selling bundle of 3 tins of their water colour pencils for 11.99 (normally 9.99 each or best price I have seen them at C-Stash is 7.99) so if you need them a good deal.

AH!! forgot this is crafters forum so need rarely comes into it lol
    Last edited by rugersmum; 22-05-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy direct from Tonic and also subscribe to the monthly kits you get 10% off with thecode TCK.

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon I have more than enough watercolour medium, including pencils, crayons, tubes, pens, pans, pots, ink sticks, and who knows what else. Pastels can also be used for watercolour, the chalk ones that is, not the oil based. I also have a load of Twinkling H20's that I have had since Adam were a lad. Wonder if the still make 'em.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

My watercolour pencils are cheap ones and pretty rubbish so I'd like some decent ones but can't really justify it at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah but, are the Tonic ones any better? I have lost track of the number of companies who have brought out watercolour pencils over the last year or so, including Anna Griffin. My bet is that none of them are as great as they would have us believe. They never tell us exactly what the proportions of pigment is to filler.

It is the amount of pigment that makes the difference. That is why there are several qualities of tubes of paints. There are those for the professionals, student quality, others are somewhere in between, then the mega cheap stuff from The Works, etc. It is the same with paper, yes paper, not card as they will insist on calling it on C & C/Hochanda.

Roz
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

I am far from an expert but I have found that like most things starting with a good foundation i.e. the card/paper and it has to be watercolor card or you wont be able to move the colour around.

I am a complete novice but find coloring very relaxing be it with watercolor pencils - watercolor paints or alcohol pens I also have chameleon pens but haven't got the hang of them yet lol..
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everyday may not be good, but there's something good in Everyday...

Post Thanks / Like

I really struggle with the alcohol pens. Just can't seem to get the effect I want. Could be because I prefer the lightness of watercolour to the vibrant colours of alcohol pens, which in my case are Promarker's.

Roz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RozMinis View Post
    I really struggle with the alcohol pens. Just can't seem to get the effect I want. Could be because I prefer the lightness of watercolour to the vibrant colours of alcohol pens, which in my case are Promarker's.

Roz
    I haven't done any colouring with my promarkers for a few years, but found the paper/card made a huge difference.
    Used to use Rymans 200gsm coated card, which I purchased when they had bogof deals.
    I can relate to what you are saying Roz, as watercolouring can be a bit more forgiving, as in delicate, and mistakes can be easier to correct. If you go outside of the lines with alcohol markers it is visible, yet in watercolour it is part of the charm, so you don't have to be as careful.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have some Promarkers and some Spectrum Noirs. Promarkers have a finer nib so it's easier to do fine details. SNs also seem juicier so you just touch the tip to the paper and get a big blob. This is exacerbated if you use an absorbent paper so the paper you use is crucial. If you put some scrap paper underneath, it helps to draw the ink through instead of letting it spread sideways.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought loads of Promarkers years ago and apart from replacing a few well-used colours, they’re still quite juicy. When the Spectrum Noir pens came out, I bought one basic pack and they didn’t last very long. I actually went to my SN tin last week to look for a particular colour and the pen was dried out. I’m not a good colourer/blender so I can’t comment on their quality, but I do know that my Promarkers have lasted far longer without drying out.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post